Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fixing to buy, few problems wanted to check on.

Old 03-29-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixing to buy, few problems wanted to check on.

I'm fixing to purchase a 2006 F150 FX4 from a buddy. There are a couple of issues I wanted to get some expert opinions on. The first issue is with the power windows, they only work by using the driver side controls. My buddy thinks it has something to do with window lock switch. The second issue is when he stomps the gas, it makes a weird noise and feels like some kind of rev limiter deal. He has a K&N Filter which he says is dirty, and thinks that might be the problem. There are no codes that pop up or anything. Anyone had this kind of issue before, and does it sound like a dirty filter problem? The truck has a 75000 mile warranty which it is still under, but the dealer says if it doesn't have any alarms that come on then there's nothing wrong with the engine. The truck runs great other than that one problem when you stomp the gas sometimes. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The power windows issue seems to be a common one, I had to get mine fixed under warranty. The engine issue I have never dealt with, but my 06 just flipped 37k miles yesterday. The other known issue with these trucks is the spark plug issue. They like to break off in the heads and leave you with either (a) a nasty repair bill or (b) a headache trying to get out. There is a TSB to follow removing them and if you follow it there have been many success stories removing them. Ask your buddy to change out the plugs as part of the purchase agreement, let him deal with the headaches.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:13 AM
Body Shop Manager

Yea def make him do the plugs. Will most likely solve your prob
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Why don't the two of you clean that so called dirty filter, and "see" if that one engine noise goes away? I'm not sure of that....

Shouldn't that 75K warrantee cover the power window issue? These power windows can be costly. Search them here on this forum; you'll see that new window regulators, and motors are expensive.

If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's borrowing money, or buying something of large value from a friend. Both situations can turn a good friendship south very quickly.

Get any and all implied agreements, warranties, etc., in writing. Better yet, pay a neutral party mechanic to give the truck a good "once over". It will cost you a hundred bucks, but it's the best spent money on a used vehicle. Also a good investment one a friendship to last.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-31-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:02 AM
2008 Ford F-150 FX2 Sport

Originally Posted by Bucko
Why don't the two of you clean that so called dirty filter, and "see" if that one engine noise goes away? I'm not sure of that....

Shouldn't that 75K warrantee cover the power window issue? These power windows can be costly. Search them here on this forum; you'll see that new window regulators, and motors are expensive.

If it's one thing I've learned in life, it's borrowing money, or buying something of large value from a friend. Both situations can turn a good friendship south very quickly.

Get any and all implied agreements, warranties, etc., in writing. Better yet, pay a neutral party mechanic to give the truck a good "once over". It will cost you a hundred bucks, but it's the best spent money on a used vehicle. Also a good investment one a friendship to last.
+1
Old 04-01-2009, 05:03 AM

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fixing to buy, few problems wanted to check on.