First time F150 owner, pics and questions - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Late Model F150s > 2004 - 2008 Ford F150

First time F150 owner, pics and questions

Old 07-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default First time F150 owner, pics and questions

Howdy all,
first time pickup truck, and first time Ford owner here. Live in NY, found this truck in Tennessee a couple weeks ago. 2004 FX4 99,000 miles, $11,400.

Specifically wanted a stepside bed, wanted to purchase from a "less rust" area (here winter brings tons of salt on the roads).

So far I have only driven it a few times. Already removed "rigged" turndown Flowmaster before the rear axle and installed a Magnaflow cat back (sounds great, not too loud).

Truck looks super clean (to me), basically zero rust (all aluminium on engine looks new, no corrosion), carfax had maintenance records, came with manual, everything seems to work, stereo even sounds good.

Few quick questions:
-Is there a FSM download available, or is this something to buy on a disc on ebay?

-Is there a way to tighten up rear door latch a bit (drivers front door rattles over bumps a bit and requires a decent slam to latch).

-I only hear some engine noise for about 2-3 seconds after startup, once oil pressure gauge responds the noise stops completely, I have yet to change the oil, but plan to use a FL820, perhaps anti drainback valve will help.

-Do aftermarket air intakes do anything on these trucks?

In the past few weeks I have been watching many youtube videos about spark plug changes, plan to do that soon.

Thanks,
John
HubFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Join F150 Forum

Join F150Forum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford F150 fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford F150 Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Ford F150 fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your F150 you'll find that F150Forum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join F150Forum.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

-->
Old 07-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #2
Mark
5 Year Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Looks pretty damn clean ... gotta use a motor craft oil filter with the anti drain back.. Walmart sells them... Nice truck even if its Yellow...lol
08 FX4... Flowmaster Exhaust, line-X, Sky Jacker leveling kit. 295/65/20 Nitto trails mounted on 20 X 9 Carol Shelby wheels. AIRAID CAI. Harley headlamps and LED Tails & 3rd brake lights,custom upper and lower Grill. Edge Evolution. Interior/Exterior LED lighting, NFAB step bars.
techrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:21 PM   #3

Very nice. I would hit the plastics on the bed with a heat gun, to get them black again. As for the doors, I don't think the latch is your issue. The hinges themselves are known to be the weak point, and tend to sag after a while. My doors rattle and bang like crazy when going through a field.
Stick with Motorcraft filters and parts.
You may not have the issue, due to the low rust on your truck, but drop the spare and check out your FPDM. There are tons of threads on this. It's just good to take a look at it, before it leaves you stranded.
Just like above, I'm not a huge fan of yellow, but that truck really looks to be in great shape. Enjoy!
K&N drop-in, Pioneer AVH-3300BT, Kenwood 6.5 components, Infinity coax., 800W Kenwood to JL Stealthbox, MBRP XP Series, Drilled/slotted rotors, Bully Dog GT, 2.5" HBS level, Advance Cover, Weathertech liners, 325/60/18 Terra Grapplers, EZ down tailgate damper, LED swap, LED puddle lights
powerranger262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerranger262 View Post
You may not have the issue, due to the low rust on your truck, but drop the spare and check out your FPDM.
Thanks... It looks like the FPDM is fairly inexpensive ($60, with lots of positive reviews on amazon). I will lower the spare tire and check it out, maybe just replace it.

I would like to download an FSM for the truck, any good sources?
Old 07-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #5

Truck looks great. Love the yellow. She's begging you for some bigger tires though.
2008 Kawasaki Concours 1400
1999 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic 1500
Rick's 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:58 PM   #6
F150 Vendor

That's a great-looking truck and (we may be biased here) that exhaust pipe selection just seems to work well with the truck as a whole. Nicely done! How's it sound?
Magna_Flow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's 06 View Post
Truck looks great. Love the yellow. She's begging you for some bigger tires though.
Thanks! I read up about leveling kits, then decided on the Rancho RS999910 quick struts instead (which I have not yet installed), considering my front coils had an 80 lb?+ brush guard (which I removed and am selling) on it when I got the truck, figure I will get new springs, and struts with some leveling lift all in one with the quick struts.

Speaking of tires... they are so-so... planned on keeping stock size when they wear out since there's not much off-roading around here, I take the Jeep CJ-7 4BT Cummins on the beach (35" tires).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magna_Flow View Post
That's a great-looking truck and (we may be biased here) that exhaust pipe selection just seems to work well with the truck as a whole. Nicely done! How's it sound?
Thanks, haha. It sounds great... not too loud, not too quiet. Basically, I didnít want to **** off the neighbors, but wanted to remember I had a V8 truck at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to HubFord For This Useful Post:
Magna_Flow (07-31-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerranger262 View Post
Very nice. I would hit the plastics on the bed with a heat gun, to get them black again.
Heat gun or Mothers Black To Black?
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
Parts Guy

very nice. Love the step side

**The Force is Strong with this one. **
beetlevegas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HubFord View Post
Heat gun or Mothers Black To Black?
I would go with the heat gun. The back to black eventually comes off, and runs down your paint. If the heat gun doesn't do the trick, then I would just paint all the plastics with krylon fusion, satin black paint. First clean real good with a high quality degreaser, then a coat of adhesion promoter, and then paint.
As for the FPDM, make sure you get the new revised version, that has spacers ti make it sit off the crossmember.
K&N drop-in, Pioneer AVH-3300BT, Kenwood 6.5 components, Infinity coax., 800W Kenwood to JL Stealthbox, MBRP XP Series, Drilled/slotted rotors, Bully Dog GT, 2.5" HBS level, Advance Cover, Weathertech liners, 325/60/18 Terra Grapplers, EZ down tailgate damper, LED swap, LED puddle lights
powerranger262 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:53 AM