Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

First Time Buyer

Old 02-04-2010, 08:07 AM
2007 SCREW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking First Time Buyer

Hi Everyone....

I'm in search of my first f-150 and found a nice truck (or what I think is a nice truck). It's a 2007 CrewCab, 5.4L, black. The problem is that it has 111K on it. To the eye, its in perfect condition - no visable leaks, great interior and exterior, hard shell cover for the bed, etc. Really a beautiful truck. The lot is selling it for 17k which includes a 3 year warranty, tax, tags, etc. Between the warranty and the late model year, and the seemingly endless list of happy customers, I don't see a reason why not to pick up this truck. I figured I would run it by the f150 community first just to be safe. Thanks!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Very high mileage...have them knock a couple grand off...is it 4X4 ?? is there a maintenance record ??
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

I bought a used '06 that looked new. great price,lo miles,fully loaded,ect.

It was only after I hand washed it a few times that I notices a couple of little flaws in the paint.. Then I had to change a tail light bulb and when I pulled out the lamp there was a bone yard part # on it and the sheet metal under the lamp was full of primer....

A body man buddy of mine helped me discover that the entire passenger side and most of the front end had been had been at least re-painted.
Whoever painted it did a real nice job, but I'm sure the dealership I bought it from bought it damaged at auction ( confirmed by carfax) and their body shop used it as a spare time project.

Don't be too quick to fall in love with the shiny exterior and the freshly detailed interior..... give it a good hard look. got a mechanic buddy? go back a second time with him and look again............

I have had very good luck with my truck despite the body/paint work...

I'm sure you will like the late model F150 for it'r comfort and features.
the only thing most don't like is the gas milage..

Best of luck in your truck search.

Bob the Fool
Old 02-04-2010, 09:37 AM
2007 SCREW

Default Potential 2007....

Yes, it is a 4x4 and I did look pretty heavily behind body panels (wheelwells, engine compartment, etc) where I could. I didnt notice any replacement parts, etc. It drives real well too. The trailer hitch looks like it was never even used (not repainted, just looks new). The carfax is clear - its just a high mileage truck.

I do have a mechanic friend who told me that the 5.4 is tried and true and between the fact that its most likely a lot of highway miles and I'm getting a 3 year warranty, there really isn't much to worry about. I'm definitly going to try to get more money off, but I'm thinking I might pull the trigger on this one. Also, I don't really care about the gas mileage. I'm of the mindset that it isn't how effeciently you get there, its did you enjoy the ride? As a former owner of 4 Stangs, a 68 Olds Delta 88 (455ci engine) and a '76 Caddy (500ci engine), I'm well aware of gas prices!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 AM

Another good idea is to take a magnet with when lookin at vehicles. If the magnet sticks its good to go. If it doesnt stick it might have been fixed with bondo and raises some Question!

Good luck with your decision!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

I wouldn't say the 5.4 is "tried & true" by any means...

between the cams, cam phasers, spark plug blow outs, & spark plug removal issues, the 5.4 doesn't have a spotless record by any means.

the 5.4 fans here contend that the issues were solved somewhere around 07 or 08.

have the truck checked out, see if it's had it's plugs changed already. run it thru kbb.com & see what they tell you for sell prices & such.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

Seems a little high to me. I don't know what these trucks go for in philly but I figured it would be less than that. I bought my truck in December from a reputable lot. $19000 Canadian plus they fixed the power window switches, new factory floor mats, and a spare key fob. My truck had 66000 km (41000 miles) on it in december. I dunno, maybe its a good deal for you. I just think that stuff is usually more expensive in Canada but maybe not right now
Old 02-04-2010, 10:24 AM

Default congrats

hey man
sounds like you've found a pretty nice truck -
see if you can get your hands on a Carfax report and service record because at 111k you're coming into some regularly scheduled service that needs to be taken care of.
You're going to want to change the spark plugs and wires by 120k,
new shocks will be needed by 150k,
and general service (re-greasing & flushing) will need to be done to the tranny, and the forward and rear drive axles...asap

The '07 5.4 is a great truck - I just bought a '06 5.4 in good condition; it only had 40K miles on it. I paid $19K out the door for everything I love it

That being said - regular service needs to be done to the trucks to ensure that they continue to run properly (as powerfully as the day they came off the line) - you wont be dissatisfied though

btw pick up a Banks Ram Air intake and Monster exhaust or a K&N CAI with Magnaflow or Flowmaster exhaust as soon as you get the money - boosts your mpg's and horsepower
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM
2007 SCREW

Default Good Ideas....

so I got another $500 off the price, but that seems to be all they are willing to go. KBB puts that truck with 111K on it at 19K so I'm under their estimates at least.

I also called the local shop where I get my car work done and they said the typical 100K stuff for the f150's is plugs/boots, coolant, rear fluid, fuel filter. The quote was a verbal $575 for the total job. Not to bad. I also owned a Landrover Disco and the factory service for that truck at 80K was about $2K.... rediculous.

I like the idea about the magnet.... try all of the usual spots. good call.

Thanks everyone! I'll post pics if I move forward.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:42 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

yea when i bought my truck i thought i looked really well at the body and only found a small dent, and some paint chips on some plastic on the front. it wasnt till after i hand washed it for the first time that i saw some small rock chips behind every wheel and all over the front bumper. will have to keep close eye for rust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Time Buyer