Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

First post thought I'd ask for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First post thought I'd ask for some advice

This is my first post. Looks like a very knowledgeable site so thought I'd ask for some advice. I have a towing issue I could use some help solving. The back story is I purchased an 04 F-150 STX in 2010. It had 15K miles on it at the time. At 24K miles the auto trans came apart inside and had to be completely rebuilt. No explanation as to why. At 33K miles it blew the front trans seal. Yesterday at 43K miles It blew the front trans seal again. I'm in the auto restoration business and I haul a lot of cars 100 miles+-. Both times the seal blew I was towing a car. The heaviest combo I'd ever pull would be a fully loaded 70 BB Chevelle (3750#) loaded on a 20' dovetail (2360#) with maybe 200# in the bed. Total 6310#. The first time the seal blew my trans guy told me it was because I was towing with the overdrive off. OK, so I tow with the overdrive on. This time he & I think I may be towing just too close to max towing weight for the truck. I had an 02 V6 I towed cars for 125K miles without a bit of problem with that trans. I'd like to keep the 04, other than the trans rebuild it's been a good truck and it's paid for. Any suggestions on what changes could be made to make it a more reliable truck to tow with would be appreciated......trans cooler w/fan, change gears,???
Old 05-04-2012, 12:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Does it have a tow package? Never tow with overdrive on you can break alot more then a seal.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

Welcome. I see that your post had some views but no one bothered to even say hello. Guess that's something that happens at this site often, since the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago when I first introduced myself. I'm actually an active member of the RamForumz since I own an '03 Ram 1500 and they are plenty helpful and very friendly on that side. Can't say the same here...

I'm no expert, but my understanding is our 4R75 transmissions are fairly solid, but like any transmission heat is the real killer. If you're going to be hauling and towing close to the max I'd recommend an aftermarket heavy duty transmission cooler with a fan and a manual switch. As far as gearing is concerned, I can't really comment about that. I haven't heard much about our transmissions blowing up.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:14 AM

It does not have the tow package.

My trans guy said it builds to much pressure not using the OD. Sounded fishy to me at the time.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

You need to add a trans cooler. Add in line when the trans line comes out of the radiator then return to the trans from the cooler. That should keep it cool enough for what your towing. You can add a fan on a temp sensor if you want but I doubt it will be needed.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:22 AM
kanga2311 FISO

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Changing gears would help. What gears and tires do you have now?
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM
American member

Received 1,058 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by Tradesman
Welcome. I see that your post had some views but no one bothered to even say hello. Guess that's something that happens at this site often, since the same thing happened to me a couple of days ago when I first introduced myself. I'm actually an active member of the RamForumz since I own an '03 Ram 1500 and they are plenty helpful and very friendly on that side. Can't say the same here...

I'm no expert, but my understanding is our 4R75 transmissions are fairly solid, but like any transmission heat is the real killer. If you're going to be hauling and towing close to the max I'd recommend an aftermarket heavy duty transmission cooler with a fan and a manual switch. As far as gearing is concerned, I can't really comment about that. I haven't heard much about our transmissions blowing up.
In time you'll find this forum is very helpful and patient. There isn't any fluff and some can be very stubborn... hell, I've been guilty of it. Maybe the dodge turned some people off.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:48 AM

Gear is a 3:55 peg leg with 255/65/17's

And as far as no fluff. I come from the Yenko Super Car site. That can be one of the most brutal sites on the net when a person starts talking out their azz.

Thanks for all the advice so far.

Last edited by TXSS; 05-04-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:22 AM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Only a few are intentionally asses around here, but it may come off that way as some questions are repeated nearly daily. Still doesn't mean people need to be asses but some just are.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:43 AM

Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

welcome to the site. good luck.

Quick Reply: First post thought I'd ask for some advice