Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

First Oil Change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 11:10 PM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Default First Oil Change?

2008 F150 FX4 5.4...

1)My first oil change is free through the dealer. How many miles should I wait before I cash in on it?

2) Should I even cash in on the free one or just start doing my own? I plan to use full synthetic or Royal Purple with k&n oil filters....Unless you know of a better oil filter I should use.

Also, Ive never owned a 4x4 before, are there any other things I should do regularly or annual or etc maintenance on?

Thanks for any advice
Old 11-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Inspector Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure that you even need to go to the expense of Royal Purple unless you're going to abuse your truck (i.e. overloading it, towing constantly, or beating the crap out of it off road). Good thing about the synthetic is you don't have to change it quite as often, but if you're going to do it every 3000 anyway, stick with the blend, or even conventional oil and save a couple bucks. There's a recession, remember?

As for the remainder of your maintenance schedule, you now have two axle housings that will require fluid changes periodically, as well as the transfer case--not to mention the transmission. You should make it a routine to check fluid level and condition on a regular basis--every oil change should be more than fine. You'll want to change diff fluid every 30k or so, and think about the transmission about every 50k--or if the fluid changes. Just remember, if your transmission fluid gets dirty, it's probably already too late...
Old 11-09-2008, 12:23 AM
American Muscle

How many miles should I wait before I do the first one? Its brand new. Came out of the lot with 20 miles on it.

Thanks. Ill be sure to read up in my owners manual to how I go about checking all those fluids...Only ones i know are the transmission and oil.

I am addiment about changing my oil every 3000 so maybe ill stick to that partial synthetic that castroil makes...I dont abuse my much and rarely take it off roading...But when i do, I want it to perform
Old 11-09-2008, 08:10 AM
fitz888

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The owners manual says 5000miles for the first one 7500 after that using ford oil.I changed mine at 2500 though.Let them do the first one because the the filter sucks to get off the first time
Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not take Ford up on their oil change deal? Also I presonally dont think full syn oil is really needed today. I use MotorCraft Semi Syn and it works just fine. I have 26K on my 07 and the oil is still clear after each oil change. Dont over think this oil change thing. Use 5W20 and change every 5K....
Old 11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by fitz888
The owners manual says 5000miles for the first one 7500 after that using ford oil.I changed mine at 2500 though.Let them do the first one because the the filter sucks to get off the first time
^^ X2. Hell yeah it sucks. When I changes the one in my 01 the first time I almost had a stroke!! I have the ESP and let them do it this time.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:34 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

You can switch to synthetic at any time; mileage is not an issue. So take advantage of the free oil and filter change from your Ford dealer. Do it at 3000 if using "dyno" based oil, and at 6000 to 7000 if using synthetic. You'd be throwing money away if you use synthetic and change it every 3000 miles. The synthetic oil is meant for longer intervals, with better lubrication to boot.

Some folks have money to burn, so they use synthetic and continue to use the "dyno" based oil schedule of 3000 miles. A waste of good money.

Ford oil filters are just as good as the majority out there. No need to start another oil filter or oil debate here; there are plenty on the forums for you to search on and read about. It only starts a lot of myths and angry responses from some.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:40 PM
Silverado Slayer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call me picky but I would do it when it hits 500 miles to help get rid of any break in metals that could be in the filter. Then switch it over to the oil & filter of your choice. I'm running Amsoil right now and a EAO filter.
Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by aspenF150
Call me picky but I would do it when it hits 500 miles to help get rid of any break in metals that could be in the filter. Then switch it over to the oil & filter of your choice. I'm running Amsoil right now and a EAO filter.
That used to be the norm, but now the engines are started at the assembly plant (fired on natural gas) and broke in somewhat there. The oil is drained, fresh oil and a break-in additive is added, then installed in the vehicle (GM calls their break in additive EOS), and it should be left in for a couple of thousand miles. If you do drain at 500 miles, then add in another pint of the break in oil as well; after 3000 miles, your good to go.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
American Muscle

See thats my concern...I know todays engines are somewhat broken in at the factory but I know that since the owners manual suggests a 1000 mile additional break in there is still some seating being done by the engine...I will do my first through ford at 1000 and then every 3000 after that. Thanks for all the advice guys

Quick Reply: First Oil Change?