Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

First gear no holdback

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First gear no holdback

Hi everyone, I have read this forum for a while, but just decided to become a member.
I have a 2006 f-150 FX4 4x4, with an auto transmission. I just noticed that when I am on decents and want to downshift to first gear to slow me down, the RPM's drop down to idle and the truck coasts, No holdback. First gear works fine otherwise, no slipping or anything, shifts smooth, plenty of power. Second gear works and will hold back when downshifted into.
The problem happens whether im in 4x4 or not, and with the overdrive on and off.
Any ideas/feedback would be awesome and greatly appreciated.

I love the forum and hopefully will have some input of my own to help others in the future.

Thanks a ton

))--SLIVER-->
Old 10-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Bump

))--sliver-->
Old 10-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Carpe Diem

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, my truck does that too. My best guess is that 1st gear is too low for the pickup, so the transmission won't let it get into that gear (similar to how some transmissions won't let you put it in reverse when moving forwards). It saves the transmission from excess wear.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:54 PM
Justin

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by northeastFX4
Yea, my truck does that too. My best guess is that 1st gear is too low for the pickup, so the transmission won't let it get into that gear (similar to how some transmissions won't let you put it in reverse when moving forwards). It saves the transmission from excess wear.
Never tried downshifting into 1st manually. But I'd venture to guess that northeastFX4's response above is fairly accurate. If you're going to fast for what 1st would/should allow, I'd see this as a safety function for the tranny.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM

how fast are you going? our trucks (unless you have a chip) have a rev-limiter at 5000 rpm... so if your going a speed that would be over 5000 rpm in 1st, i dont think the truck will allow you to override the downshift

could be wrong, but its just an idea
Old 10-20-2009, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
I don't think that is the problem here, I initially noticed it when I was up hunting last weekend, and there is a steep canyon that I have to go down. I shifted it into 4 low so that the gears would hold me back and not the brakes. In first gear in this situation it would just coast. No holdback what so ever. I don't think this could be a normal thing. Every truck i've ever owned has been able to use it's gears to slow you while decending in 4 lo. Ford and Chev.

I read someone having a similar problem with an explorer sport trac, and it was some kind of solenoid(spelling) inside the transmission. The guy called it a coast clutch solenoid.

Any ideas if our trucks have something like that??

I hope I can get this nailed down, It's pretty scary coming down that canyon towing two 4wheelers and having to rely on your brakes to slow you down.

Thanks in advance for any help.

))--SLIVER-->

Last edited by SLIVER; 10-20-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 01:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Sliver, do you have an aftermarket exhaust? The backpressure from a somewhat restricted exhaust and tranny work together with the low 1st gear to give you a slow decent down a hill. If you have an exhaust setup that is very free flowing it will minimize your ability to crawl down the hill. As for your truck having too low a first gear, that just isn't true...a low first gear is what you would want (I have built/owned many Jeeps and always seek out the lowest crawl gear for first, so much so that you have to take off in second to wheel around town). In your case, it's either the less restricted exhaust aiding the problem or an actual problem with your tranny and would advise you to take it in to Ford (if still covered under warranty) as I only had 38K miles on mine and was told it was completely shot and I don't drive it hard. Anyway, hope this helps.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 AM
Carpe Diem

Just to make sure SLIVER, you said that you put it in 4 lo...however, did you put it in neutral first? Because you have to be in neutral for the truck to put itself in 4 lo, or else it will stay in 4 hi. You may even have to be parked, but im not sure on that one.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:02 AM

Once again, thanks for the replies.
I do not have an aftermarket exhaust it is 100% stock.
I know that I was in 4x4 low because I would have to drive up some hills as well, and I even tested it out by backing my trailor up one of the steep decents that I just came down and it had plenty of power to do it, and did not slip. I did put the truck in neutral while engaging.

I am talking that as soon as I shift down to 1st, it freewheels and the rpm's kick down to idle.
If I take off in 1st it has plenty of power, accelerates fine, and then if I let off the gas it maintain's it's higher rpm's for a moment, and then again, freewheels and the rpm's drop to idle, while I am still going as fast as I was at high rpm's in 1st. I'm talking NO HOLDBACK, none.

I hope I am making sense, I feel like I'm kinda rambling.

Here is the link to that other post I was talking about.

www.ford-trucks.com/forums/840659-no-first-gear-downhill.html

Thanks again guys, I hope you can help.

))--SLIVER-->
Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

dont most auto's trans coast out of gear when you dont have you foot on the gas, i think thats right maybe its just some stupid thing i made up, but anyways ive never seen that kind of hold back without having a stick shift

Quick Reply: First gear no holdback