Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

first damage to the truck

Old 02-23-2009, 07:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default first damage to the truck

well it only took me a little longer than a month to bang up my truck

took it in to get the airbag sensor under the passenger seat replaced and when I picked it up tonight I started it up, let it warm up, went to pull a U-turn in the parking lot when the truck jolted and there was an unpleasant sound.... turns out there was a small concrete wall in front of the right half of my truck but not the left (where i was looking)

god I feel dumb.
luckily the plastic shield under the bumper and the license plate holder took most of the damage.

1 small scuff on the chrome and somehow I managed to snap this off
Old 02-23-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default wow

those are some pretty big bolts that go through that hook too! I'd say you got off sorta lucky
Old 02-23-2009, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by FOMOCO466
those are some pretty big bolts that go through that hook too! I'd say you got off sorta lucky
I agree, weird thing is I didnt have that much speed and was only about 2 feet away from the concrete... I think it got under the hook and snapped it up... because the height of the wall thing was pretty much even with the bottom of the bumper.
only one bolt snapped. the other is still on there
I couldnt tell how those bolts get in there, does anyone know how to remove/add one of these hooks? I couldnt find any opening to pull the bolt out, half of the broken one is still in there

couldn't feel dumber right now.
this is like that time I was 16 and my girlfriend parked behind me in my own driveway and I backed up into her.... only 8 years of driving experience later
Old 02-23-2009, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could have been worse

As my paint and body man used to say, "it could have been worse". Still I'd be hopping mad too. If it eats u up have it fixed. If not, save your $ and keep on truckin'.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:47 PM
UrbanTerrain

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good excuse to buy some aftermarket parts.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default bolts

the rear bolt goes into a plate that holds a nut for the front bolt. you will have to take out the back bolt, then slide the plate out of the frame (probably have to take a magnet and pull it from the front of the frame rail) then stick it in a vice and screw it back out so you can reuse it.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by UrbanTerrain
Good excuse to buy some aftermarket parts.
haha as if i needed one!
new exhaust gets delivered thursday

FOMOCO, thanks for the how-to. as soon as its above 30 I'm going to take care of that, looks odd with just 1

I never thought I would be happy to have a front license plate... took a lot of the impact
Old 02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
American Muscle

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

THose tow hooks are a pain. Im really surprised it snapped off like that...Ive had mine off twice in the last month, they are major bolts. Good luck gettin it fixed, FOMOCO has set you on the right path.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Your tow hook came off?

That is bizarre...I almost busted a trying to get mine off....

Make sure you do not lose track of that plate....it's a mother to get back up front.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by SinCityFX4
Your tow hook came off?

That is bizarre...I almost busted a trying to get mine off....

Make sure you do not lose track of that plate....it's a mother to get back up front.
yeah I was surprised as well. I think the only reason the bolt snapped is because it was not only pressure pushing the tow hook back, but the wall/curb thing ended up going under the tow hook and pushing up on it as well.

an inch lower and there would have been no damage, an inch higher and it would have been some bad bumper rash.

now I just have to come up with a story to tell people that ask why my tow hook is missing
'well you see, I came across a stuck sherman tank and I was trying to pull it out of quicksand.....'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: first damage to the truck