Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Firestone Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestone Airbags

Was looking to add these to my truck, but was wondering if they might limit the rear suspensions movement in offroad situations?

Anybody have any experience with them offroading?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll know soon. My Airlift bags should be in tomorrow. According to the guy I spoke to at Airlift he said it should not effect travel (either compression or droop) when they are run at minimum pressure... but (and this part comes from several folks) they're not ideal if you use your truck as a regular rock crawler. If you are constantly twisting the suspension at maximum extension then they will wear out quicker. For extra protection the Airlift guy suggested installing a limit strap just shy of your maximum shock extension. The 4WP guy I've talked to also suggested adding a 1" spacer (or 1" extra spacing if you already have to space b/c of a lift kit) as this will not interfere with compression but will allow the bag an extra bit of maximum extension room. In my case I'll be using a 4" TuffCountry (40001) spacer as I now have a 5" fabtech block in rear that is 3" taller than stock. I'll take pics when I do the install. I want to make sure I can still do this when needed:
Name:  f150-caribou03a.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  119.3 KB

I'd be real curious to hear of anyone's first-hand experience as well.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have airlift bags in my 04 scab. I am only running a level kit so cant speak for any lift. I have not noticed any issues with the kit during flexing or offroad. I can tell you that they are designed for load straight up/down. I have had a couple occasions where the *** end of the truck has been sliding or "coming around" and when the truck eventually catches traction the bags have made some disturbing sounds. One time I had to loosen up the mounts and reposition them. The bolts that go through the kit are oblonged for proper orientation, under enough sideways directed load they can shift within that hole. This condition wasnt normal conditions but rather ice related. Once the bags are in you will be able to feel slightly more hop and give if you corner tight/hard. Not saying they arent good but you will notice a difference in the ride characteristics (<- big word!)
I run my bags at about 25psi when the truck is empty. They are cabaple of 100psi (90psi lifts my truck around 3" with a 600lb wheeler in the back)
Old 06-21-2010, 04:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pushnf8
I run my bags at about 25psi when the truck is empty. They are cabaple of 100psi (90psi lifts my truck around 3" with a 600lb wheeler in the back)
Very good info. Do you think the "skipping" might be due to the 25psi? The Airbags guy was telling me to keep it at 5-10psi when empty.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pushnf8
I have airlift bags in my 04 scab. I am only running a level kit so cant speak for any lift. I have not noticed any issues with the kit during flexing or offroad. I can tell you that they are designed for load straight up/down. I have had a couple occasions where the *** end of the truck has been sliding or "coming around" and when the truck eventually catches traction the bags have made some disturbing sounds. One time I had to loosen up the mounts and reposition them. The bolts that go through the kit are oblonged for proper orientation, under enough sideways directed load they can shift within that hole. This condition wasnt normal conditions but rather ice related. Once the bags are in you will be able to feel slightly more hop and give if you corner tight/hard. Not saying they arent good but you will notice a difference in the ride characteristics (<- big word!)

Are you running Firestones?

Quick Reply: Firestone Airbags