Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Few Questions for the new guy...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 09:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Few Questions for the new guy...

Hey guys, I have a 2006 5.4L F150. I got the truck a little over a year ago and am very pleased with it. Come to think about it, I love this truck. I have been toying around with the idea of adding some new "additions" to the truck and I have a few questions.

Cold Air Intake. How practical is a CAI with factory exhaust? I was thinking about the K&N 77 series or the 63 series. How do these two differ and which is better, or should I say which is a better buy?

K&N links
63 series -
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=63-2556

77 series -
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=77-2556KP

I also see the AF1 CAI being talked about a lot. I guess I would just like to here the in's and out's of the CAI options and hopefully get some input on which to purchase.

Last question is about exhaust. This may come later rather then sooner but I want to get some input on this. I am looking for a nice quiet rumble note to my exhaust. Nothing to loud and was hoping someone could help me out on this.

Pictures of truck: (got the front windows tinted to match the factory tint this week!)
http://flickr.com/photos/dbelcher576...7604477185793/

Last edited by fsubelch; 04-10-2008 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the site. I have the AF1 and other than the loud sucking noise when on the throttle I like it. Flow with the Af1's are very good. You would need to have the 3" unit if you don't want a programmer. As far as exhaust I went with the Roush SIDO it has a low rumble, no highway drone, and looks very good (all stainless steel). I suggest you get a SCT X2 or X3 tuner as your first performance mod. They are around $400.00 bucks and IMO the best bang for your buck. You can add other mods later and then down load upgraded tunes as you do so.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by JohnC
Welcome to the site. I have the AF1 and other than the loud sucking noise when on the throttle I like it. Flow with the Af1's are very good. You would need to have the 3" unit if you don't want a programmer. As far as exhaust I went with the Roush SIDO it has a low rumble, no highway drone, and looks very good (all stainless steel). I suggest you get a SCT X2 or X3 tuner as your first performance mod. They are around $400.00 bucks and IMO the best bang for your buck. You can add other mods later and then down load upgraded tunes as you do so.
i called troyer and told them what i was wanting to end up with and they told me go with pogrammer first...best bang .... and then go with whatever ... but i tell ya consult with them.. the dude knows what he is talking about....
Old 04-11-2008, 01:22 AM

i would also know if anyone on this forum has noticed a difference in running a k and n or not..... i have not noticed a difference at all.. but then again i am breaking in a new truck....
Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 AM

Thanks for the input, and I am looking for as much info and input as possible. When it comes to tuners I am out in left field. I would like to hear some more about different tuners and which are better then others.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 AM

fsubelch do yourself a favor and call Troyer Performance @ 540-965-7123 they are the Ford truck experts. Get yourself a list of questions for them and fire away I promise you won't go wrong with them. Where are you located?
Old 04-11-2008, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the number, I will defiantly give them a call.

I am located in Tallahassee FL.

There are a few local truck shops here, I am just not sure how good they are nor do I no anything about them.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Inaugural TOTM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

People have given you great advice in telling you to call Troyer Performance, Mike knows these trucks like no one else in the business. I've had my AF1 CAI and Xcal II with Troyer tunes for almost a year now and would easily make the same decision to go with Troyer today. Give the folks there a call and ask to speak to Mike, if he's not busy he'll take the time to explain everything to you. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Few Questions for the new guy...