Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Feels like I am constantly driving over small rocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 10:40 AM
Built not Bought

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Feels like I am constantly driving over small rocks

The ride in my truck never seems to be smooth. It always feels like im driving over small rocks or small holes in the road. It's not ball joints since I dont have any ball joints, the whole front end is new except for the hubs. The truck always feels like its vibrating and I can especially feel it in the floorboard and and gas/brake pedal. It's nothing major, but can definitely notice it. Anyone else have this issue? I cant imagine it's from the rear of the truck since leaf springs look fine and shocks are new. Maybe its the hubs? or maybe tranny or trasfer case?

Thanks in advance!

Also have a fresh alignment. Happens even at very slow speeds which should also rule out wheel balancing
Old 08-12-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ccbruin
The ride in my truck never seems to be smooth. It always feels like im driving over small rocks or small holes in the road. It's not ball joints since I dont have any ball joints, the whole front end is new except for the hubs. The truck always feels like its vibrating and I can especially feel it in the floorboard and and gas/brake pedal. It's nothing major, but can definitely notice it. Anyone else have this issue? I cant imagine it's from the rear of the truck since leaf springs look fine and shocks are new. Maybe its the hubs? or maybe tranny or trasfer case?

Thanks in advance!

Also have a fresh alignment. Happens even at very slow speeds which should also rule out wheel balancing

My first guess would be tires - either cupping due to poor alignment, or if you are using mud tires with big tread, etc. The other guess would be bad wheel bearings which can also feel like what you are describing. If it's more like rumble strips, I would lean towards wheel bearings/hubs. If it's less defined I'd say tires.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Built not Bought

One thing I did notice is that when I took one of the wheels off, it just flops over. All the others stand up normally, but one of them just tips over. Really makes no sense unless the tire internally is really messed up somehow..
Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Have you had an alignment done. Tire flopping over as you discribe above with the rest tending to freestand would indicate uneven wear. If your alignment is off you can get vibrations as well. Tire balance tends to be most noticable between 40 and 65 over 70 any vibrations you feel in the steering are most likely alignment related, which could include a bearing issue. If the vibration is more thru your feet and butt and increases and decrease in direct corellation to your speed you could have a driveshaft balance issue or a rear axle bearing issue.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:55 PM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

What's your suspension set up? The lack of ball joints is probably what is causing it. Uni's do not have any play what so ever so all road vibrations are transferred to you.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:10 PM
Built not Bought

I'm ok with having a rough ride, but it doesn't feel like its just the road causing it. I wouldn't really describe it as a vibration.. Kind of feels like its hopping. It is not speed related at all. I can feel it when barely rolling. When just rolling, it feels like it's riding over small little hills in the road.

Alignment is fresh. The tire wear is rather normal and isn't whats causing it to flop over, at the least the wear should be making it tip the other way (wear on inside, but tire falls over toward the outside). Whole front end is brand new with the exception of wheel bearings/hubs (which seem good from the tire wiggle test) and the tires.

Last edited by ccbruin; 08-14-2014 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts

What tires are you running? My km2's are super bumpy at slow speeds because I'm skipping from lug to lug and it shakes the whole truck. Also have you changed your coil spring at all? If you went stiffer that might be making your ride seem off.

Quick Reply: Feels like I am constantly driving over small rocks