Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Feel like I dodged a bullet on the starter swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 AM
Ford, much?

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Feel like I dodged a bullet on the starter swap

So today my starter bit the dust after a few days of feeling sluggish, worse when hot... it would stop rotating entirely. Well I got under there blindly without looking anything up first and when I got to the top bolt on the starter I could see it with a mirror, but had no idea how to get to it. After reading a few threads about how to get to the top bolt, I was feeling pretty skitzed about it. I figured I'd go a few hours without getting it out and just give up and have it towed somewhere. Fortunately that didn't happen.

I stuck a deep well on an extension and shoved it up there and it caught the bolt head instantly. Spun it right out. Actually easier than the two bottom bolts came out, ironically.

I wanted to put this picture here to show anyone else doing the starter job the correct setup to simply spin it right out with not a bit of stress at all.

A combined total of 7" length will spin that sucker right out without blinking as quick as you can turn the handle. You don't even need to see what you are doing just start turning and it'll grab.
Attached Thumbnails Feel like I dodged a bullet on the starter swap-null_zpsdb2385da.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
techrep (06-06-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Ford, much?

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This technique helped me get the bolt in on top putting it back. Probably saved me an hour of cursing....
Attached Thumbnails Feel like I dodged a bullet on the starter swap-img_2327.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
VTX1800N1 (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 10:28 PM

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Mcguyver.. good idea!

Quick Reply: Feel like I dodged a bullet on the starter swap