Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Fan clutch rattling?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 AM
'04 FX4 Scab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan clutch rattling?

Soo after replacing the belt in my 04 FX4 Scab, I noticed one hell of a rattling under the hood (easy to hear without the belt screaming lol). Its only when its cold, and you can really only hear it at an idle... sounds like someone shaking up a can of spray paint. The fan has a bit of play in it, and the noise sounds like its coming from up front. Once the truck heats up, you can no longer hear it anymore.

it was mentioned to me by a die hard ford guy that he suspects the fan clutch 100%. My parts store has a fan clutch, but I wanted to know what you guys think before I get out the haynes book and tear my old one out. Does anyone know how involved it is to remove the old one?
Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

While I have not removed/replaced one on these late model Ford trucks, I'd say you're on the right track by using the Haynes or Chiltons manual.

Perhaps someone that has had to do this already will chime in. Interesting that this is the first post on a failing/noisy fan clutch. Refreshing to read about (and learn) a new problem. I'm really getting tired of the same old posts each week on intakes, exhaust, and tuners!

Thanks for posting, and let us know the outcome. Good for those of us that use the search tool, and need to research a topic should it happen to us in the future.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

That is interesting....if the fan has that play in it I would attend to it sooner rather than later. I would also examine your tensioner pulley for issues while you are in there....
Old 02-27-2009, 05:41 PM
'04 FX4 Scab

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the tensioner off a couple weeks ago while changing my belt, and it appeared to be working just fine. The swing action was predictable and tight, and the bearing on the pully was smooth as butter. Granted, that doesnt mean its not bad, but its certainly not at the top of my list of suspects.

I will grab the haynes manual this week in my travels and make it my project for next saturday. tomorrow is my 2" leveling kit if all goes well and I can find the cash perhaps i will attempt it tomorrow.

thanks guys
Old 02-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Received 212 Likes on 192 Posts

If you can move the fan fore-and-aft any significant amount, can hand-spin the fan more than 1/2 turn with engine off and cold, or it makes noise when hand-spinning - would just about bet hard money the clutch needs to be replaced.

Easy replacement - watch out for left-hand threads.

Quick Reply: Fan clutch rattling?