Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

fake flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 08:05 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default fake flowmaster?

ok guys, here's what's going on. I had a flowmaster 40 series installed #42441. It doesnt have the flowmaster stamp on it. I went back to the guy and asked him if mine was a knock off. He told me a story about flowmaster losing the patent. Any way, he said mine was made in the USA, and it was a flowmaster. (even though it wasn't stamped with the logo). is he full of crap? or did i get taken. I must admit the sound is just what i wanted, but i just don't want to pay for cheap stuff. opinions?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The knock-off flowmasters that I have seen are called flowmuffler's hah. And they are not stamped. And are marketed saying that the patent has expired for flowmaster and they are now allowed to make them the exact same way. They cost $40 new where I'm from. Either way if I was you, and I payed for a flowmaster, that damn well better be what I have on my truck.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:45 AM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

^^^This. You have 2 choices now, leave them on and ask him to discount your, Or have him take them off and refund you. If you like the sound, I would push for a discount off what he charged.
Old 03-04-2015, 06:28 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Do you have a receipt that specifys the part number, or "name" brand of the muffler, or how much you paid? If not, do you have some sort of payment reciept (credit card statement or check) that can be used to determine the price paid?

You can google the price of a flowmaster, and compare it to your receipt. If the price paid was comperable for a flowmaster, but got an off brand that is cheaper, then I'd think you have a case.
Old 03-04-2015, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Do you have a receipt that specifys the part number, or "name" brand of the muffler, or how much you paid? If not, do you have some sort of payment reciept (credit card statement or check) that can be used to determine the price paid?

You can google the price of a flowmaster, and compare it to your receipt. If the price paid was comperable for a flowmaster, but got an off brand that is cheaper, then I'd think you have a case.
That's not very logical. He could of charged him $50 less than what a flowmaster is retail (let's say $300) and OP thinks he's getting a good deal, but the guy behind the counter bought it for $40 and charged him $250. OP would think that's pretty close, and would rest his case.

Sure it might help him sleep better at night, but he would still be overpaying and running a fake flowmaster.

To OP: I would go to another shop that has that flow master in stock, take a picture and show this guy. Call flow master themselves and see what they have to say.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

If he charged you for a flowmaster then installed a knock I'd call credit card company and reverse the charges. You didn't get the product you paid for.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:01 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by dopewaffle
That's not very logical. He could of charged him $50 less than what a flowmaster is retail (let's say $300) and OP thinks he's getting a good deal, but the guy behind the counter bought it for $40 and charged him $250. OP would think that's pretty close, and would rest his case.

Sure it might help him sleep better at night, but he would still be overpaying and running a fake flowmaster.

To OP: I would go to another shop that has that flow master in stock, take a picture and show this guy. Call flow master themselves and see what they have to say.
Based on the OP's post, with a part number, all he would need is a valid receipt, a price for a "real flowmaster" with that part number, and pics of what was actually installed on his truck. I'd think that would be enough to show the person that did the work that he feels he was overcharged. If nessesary, he could then contact legal council if he choses.

Quick Reply: fake flowmaster?