Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Factory subwoofer popping fuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:58 PM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Factory subwoofer popping fuse

Noticed subwoofer hasn't ever been on so checked fuse. Didn't have one in place so put one in (proper 25amp) and it popped instantly. Truck wasn't even on, so neither was radio.

Any places to start looking? It's all the stock Audiophile.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:52 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Since the wires are easily checked, you may want to lift you back seat up and un-do the enclosure. Unplug the harness and check that the insulation isn't cracked or the wire corroded or touching. Other than that...the sub shouldn't even have power if the stereo is off?

Two questions, was the truck on or in run position? Also, do you have a stock stereo?
Old 12-13-2013, 06:40 PM
Just Creepin

Truck was off, just key in the ignition in off position. It was parked in the garage so I just went to check the fuse for kicks n grins. Stock everything all around, for now.

I'll have to take a look but will be busy this weekend. It's an obvious short, I know that much. But with these single digit temps lately, any direction on where to start helps. Not having to guess where to start saves time!

Point being is might be a bit before I reply on what I found or if that was it or not.

Thank you though. Any any other input is more than welcome.

I'm assuming amp must have a constant 12v power source. Similar to any aftermarket amp. I have to imagine that is the shorted out wire. Is the factory amp located inside the box with the subwoofer? Because i didn't immediately see it, just the wire harness dive into the box. Also anyone got a wire diagram handy they can link or upload so i know which wire does what. I won't be able to turn the power on to figure it out since the fuse wont hold even when truck is off.

I mean I can toss a larger fuse in and just look for smoke curling up from somewhere too right? :P

Last edited by TheJcode; 12-13-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:52 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

I can't vouch for the diagram. However, the amplifier is screwed to the underside of the enclosure, I'll include a pic. The harness has a few more than 4 wires coming into it, and the amp comes out to 4 that go inside the box. I do know that the stereo sends a ~5v turn on signal to the sub when it powers up.

Factory subwoofer popping fuse-image-4266525213.jpg
The following users liked this post:
lozeerose (02-24-2024)
Old 12-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Just Creepin

I've hooked up a few of my own audio systems so famaliar with finding my way around wireing. Just like I mentioned, any prior info before diving in helps. Less time I can spend in the temps bare handed the better lol.

I can park it and throw the heater behind myself and work on it for awhile, but I don't have much light where I do this at our shop (really high ceilings and just a few 100 watt incandescent bulbs) so I have to keep a flash light on stuff which gets to be a pain in and of itself.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:35 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Well, I'm not sure what could be shorting out unless it is maybe one of those wires going from under the carpet to the sub. They would be the most vulnerable to corrosion or crossing - I don't know of a reason why the one behind the dash would be.

If you do end up opening up the dash, there will be two wire harnesses plugged into the stereo, or at least mine is laid out like this. The biggest one has the positive and negative leads to each of the four speakers, a 12v constant, a 12v ignition, chassis ground, dimmer, and antenna amplifier.

The smaller, middle harness is for the sub. If I recall correctly, two of them are + and - for the sub, and there is a 12v constant, and a ~5v turn-on remote switching wire for the sub.

And of course, there is also an orange wire that is the antenna.

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Just Creepin

Update:

Looks like its the amp. I pull the harness out out of it and the fuse holds fine, truck running or off. Plugged it in and popped instantly. Checked my voltage around the harness and all looks well (after putting a new fuse in of course). No continuity between any wires either. Where the amp gets plugged in at though, there was continuity between ground and constant power pin. Thus telling me the constant power is shorted out on the chassis somehow somewhere inside.

So thought I'd post what I found incase this thread comes up in someones search down the road!
lozeerose (02-24-2024)
Old 12-21-2013, 03:11 PM
Just Creepin

Guess this explains it. A resistor is broken and shorted right out.

Factory subwoofer popping fuse-forumrunner_20131221_151109.jpg
lozeerose (02-24-2024)
Old 05-15-2014, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jumping in late...

I have the same resistor issue. What did you do to fix? What is the value of the resistor?

Stacey
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Just Creepin

Not sure, thought about replacing it but I had read a thread that someone on here did. I just was gonna place the amp (~$50 on ebay). Havent done it because just gonna end up putting aftermarket in when it warms up enough to make the box.
lozeerose (02-24-2024)

Quick Reply: Factory subwoofer popping fuse