Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F150 Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile F150 Spark Plugs

I am changing my plugs out this weekend and had a couple questions... my old f150 was a 97 when i changed the plugs on that i didnt realize you needed a tool to take the boots off and i broke one.. that being said i have an 06 with a 5.4 now, do these boots need a special tool? next question how much torque to put on them.... is there a special way to take them out without breaking them? also the is the gap .044? thanks for input everyone

Last edited by exrider54321; 01-05-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you dive in head first with the spark plugs I recommend reading through the hundreds of threads existing on this site regarding the 5.4L 3V spark plugs. If you thought the 97 had issues with the boots, wait till you break off a couple plugs and have to remove the heads.
I ended up just letting my dealership handle this, cost me $300.
If you decide to tackle this project then watch episode 26 here:
http://www.flatratetech.com/index.php?categoryid=4
No gapping is required with these plugs, they come gapped out of the box.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

STOP RIGHT NOW
AND READ!
These engines are disasters when it comes to changing plugs, and I am NOT kidding.

Failure to remove the plugs according to the TSB on the subject is going to result in many hours of extra work, and a few hundred dollars in tools you are going to need to do it.

Even the best mechanics have had plugs break off in the head when following the TSB, and the process of extracting one or more broken plugs . It is not a job I would want to tackle if I didn't have to.

So my best suggestion is sit back, read the replies, and then after you have learned the tricks, attempt to tackle the job.

Old 01-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Before I did my plugs I read the posts on this site and have to say it scared me more than I can say!!! I did buy the tool to remove the broken plugs if I broke some and I also bought the plug socket. I looked at the tools for about another 2 weeks and decided to just do it. I cracked them loose and soaked them with PB Blaster. They all came out but one... it broke. The tool works VERY well! I had the broken part out in 15 minutes. The job cost me 2 hours + and just over 100.00 for the tools and the plugs. It's all about having the right tool for the job at hand. As for the boots mine all came off ok. No one has ever mentioned a tool for the plug boots.

My truck had 92K when I did the plugs. They had never been out. I think the plug thing is more a pain in the butt and has been blown way out of proportion. Just have the tools on hand before you start.
Attached Thumbnails F150 Spark Plugs-img_1481.jpg   F150 Spark Plugs-img_1480.jpg  
Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM

Dude, you do not want to attempt this by yourself. These plugs are crap and they will break as soon as you try to remove them. I just went through this last week but I had help from 2 friends that are mechanics and special tool to remove broken plugs. We broke 5 out of 8 while changing plugs in my 05 5.4. It can be done by yourself but you will need the spark plug tool.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel

My mechanic at the dealership got em all out without any breaking off. Apparently with the right touch and precautions it can be done right. The plugs had 66K miles on them. My advice is get a firm price from your mechanic or dealer, make sure they are accounting for any broken plug extractions, and save your elbow grease for another, less risky project on your truck.
I know that sucks, I never imagined I would have to have someone else do something as simple as spark plugs for me.
I imagine Ford is in the process of designing an engine that requires engineers and super-computers merely to change the oil.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:36 PM

Im probly not going to try to tackle this myself. I know a mechanic that will do it for me for cheap. Thanks for input everyone.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by exrider54321
Im probly not going to try to tackle this myself. I know a mechanic that will do it for me for cheap. Thanks for input everyone.
No offense to your "cheap" mechanic, but make sure he knows what he is doing on this new stuff, and make sure he knows what he is getting into.

If he is used to changing plugs on 1983 chevys, this will be way out of his league.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The more I read about all of the shortcomings of these trucks I am wishing I had my GMC Z-71 back. My DAD has a 2001 with the 5.3 and has over 220,000 miles on it with NO trouble. Hope I haven't made a mistake by going with this F150.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:03 PM
BLOWN club #1

just lube the shizz out of them over night and when you put them back on use anti seize

Quick Reply: F150 Spark Plugs