Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F150 Shift Cable Popped Off of Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile F150 Shift Cable Popped Off of Transmission

Just wanted to post how I solved my shift cable problem WITHOUT buying a new cable. The plastic keeper insert at the transmission end of the cable dried up and broke apart, thus cable fell off the automatic transmission shift arm. Called local dealer, new cable is about $60. Visited a mechanic friend of mine and he had some white plastic snap bushings for some older ford transmissions, gave me various sizes to try out. One fit perfectly! Was like a 3 minute repair. Just had to slide under the truck and squeeze it into place. These apparently are sold in an assortment kit. Kinda pisses me off that the ford dealer would not give this same advice. Was not so upset about the cost of the shift cable as the amount of my time that it would have taken (i.e stolen). Fortunately for me I broke down backing out of my drive and was able to push it back into the driveway, so no expense there. So, keep asking questions at the dealer, this is a very simple fix.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome find- this just happened to me! Coming back from the Petit Le Mans yesterday. Stopped for a bite to eat, got out and had no resistance in the shift lever. It wouldn't come out of park. I had AAA come tow us home and THEN found out it was just the little connector piece holding the cable to the transmission lever thing. I should have checked it earlier but one of my friends had a flight to catch soon. We pushed it back into place and added a couple of zip ties for a temporary fix. I want a better fix though.

Which ones you think I should go with?

Here's what i found: these and these
Old 12-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Default shifter cable connection at tranny

just had the same issue with the plastic ball at the tranny connection. fortunately was able to push it back on and get home, but not sure of the best fix. dont feel like a new cable is needed, but not sure if can replace just the end fitting. the hole in the plastic ball is elongated but still in place so might be difficult to snap anything in.

any suggestions? anyone else having this issue?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:28 PM

Mines been holding with zip ties but it's on my TO-DO list to fix tomorrow. I'm thinking of taking a new piece off a salvage truck- if I can get the old one off without having to just get another whole cable which seems like a PITA.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:40 PM

I am dealing with the same issue. Have any of you guys figured out the part number for the aftermarket replacement bushing?
Old 01-20-2012, 11:07 PM

I was not able to find any bushings I felt comfortable with the fit. Mine was totally stripped out and dilapidated. I just went ahead and bought the whole cable. It was pretty cheap i think like $40 online and was an easy install. The shifter movement is SOO much smoother than it was. The zip ties lasted from October until a few weeks ago when I cut them off though.
The following users liked this post:
IRON ROCK (06-13-2013)
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 PM

Default Part number

whats the part number for the cable...thanks 2004 (new model) ford f150 floor center console shifter...where did u buy it online...ebay? thanks once again
Old 09-23-2015, 01:27 PM

I had this happen to me yesterday. I found a thread on another forum that suggested replacing the linkage bushing. The Linkage Bushing Kit is Dorman Help! Part# 14041 and it includes a few different bushings. I got mine at Auto Zone, but others had found them at Advance - I think all major parts stores have them.

The one that fits is imprinted with "Made in China" on the actual bushing (the others are blank). The entire kit was under $7 and the part I needed fit right in and now its like new! Had to use a pair of pliers to clip the bushing over the ball end of the transmission arm.

Last edited by MerryO; 09-23-2015 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:25 PM

I have a 1997 F150 with 270,000 miles. Found myself stranded today, June 9, on a road trip after placing the shifter into park and couldn't shift it back into Drive. I had visions of a $300 Tow charge and a couple of wasted hours, etc. I decided to look under the dash and above the pedals and saw that the shifter lever moved the cable back and forth without engaging. I crawled under the transmission and saw that the cable had popped off the transmission lever. I popped it back on, but it didn't feel tight. So I use a plastic tie until I can find a replacement bushing. I was getting ready to search this forum had I not located the popped out cable end as quickly as I did. I can see it's a common problem with these older trucks.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:15 PM

Received 144 Likes on 92 Posts

Say what you want but when my cable fell off the ball at the trans end, I used one of these to fasten it back on. Been on there since a week after I bought my '04 Lariat (March 2017) and doesn't show any signs of wear or coming off.

Every time I have the oil changed, the mechanic at my Ford Dealer tells me I need a new cable... I just smile and say "No worries, my fix is working fine"

Quick Reply: F150 Shift Cable Popped Off of Transmission