Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

F-150 Won't Start - Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F-150 Won't Start - Ideas?

Ok, maybe a stupid question but am I missing something? I got my truck a little while back. I've done some work on it and I'm lovin' my truck, until it died. Seriously, I was dropping my daughter off at school. I was in drive with my foot on the brake and it died. It wouldn't start up again! I turn the key, it cranks won't start. Has fuel from the same place I get fuel for my other vehicles. I want to do this myself instead of hiring a mechanic!

Items checked or replaced:
No codes
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Inertia Switch
Neutral Safety Switch
Starter
Battery
Unhooked battery for 45minutes

Doing this weekend:
Fuel Filter
Fuel Pump (on order)
Fuel Pump Driver Module (on order)

Last edited by EveBlack; 06-19-2015 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Added part to list
Old 06-19-2015, 09:58 AM

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

My bet would be the FPDM. It happened to me too. Its easy to find. Its behind the spare tire attached to the crossmember. It gets corroded and will fail without warning.

Fuel filter is good to change periodically regardless. I think there is a special removal tool.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by MetalCutter
My bet would be the FPDM. It happened to me too. Its easy to find. Its behind the spare tire attached to the crossmember. It gets corroded and will fail without warning.

Fuel filter is good to change periodically regardless. I think there is a special removal tool.
Good! Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right path! Yes there is a special tool! I found that out the hard way lol.
Old 06-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

replace the FPDM first... sounds like you love to throw parts at your truck...why would you replace the starter when you said it cranks ??
Old 06-19-2015, 12:16 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

well it says checked or replaced..

An easy diagnostic (not sure on f150) is to unhook the fuel line and crank. If it is pushing fuel it is not the pump.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:05 AM

Received 63 Likes on 60 Posts

With techrep on that, if it cranks... starter is likely good.

The first easy thing I would look at is the FPDM as mentioned earlier. It's quick, easy, and a high probability lol. I also like to note, sometimes it takes a fuse out with it (can't recall the fuse #)
Old 06-23-2015, 02:06 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by techrep
replace the FPDM first... sounds like you love to throw parts at your truck...why would you replace the starter when you said it cranks ??
I didn't replace the starter. Same principal Hullucorn suggested in checking the fuel lines, I merely checked it. I ordered the module and it's on it's way. As for throwing parts....well it's an older truck with questionable history. I got good deals on new parts so why not?
Old 06-23-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by HulluCorn

An easy diagnostic (not sure on f150) is to unhook the fuel line and crank. If it is pushing fuel it is not the pump.
Thanks Hullucorn!
Old 06-23-2015, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As stated above check the FPDM. I had that same issue two weeks ago. Cranked but didnt start up. My FPDM was corroded and broken - i changed it and the truck runs fine again. I did it myself in the driveway, took me about 30 minutes.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by HulluCorn

You won't need to crank the engine; simply turning the key to on will operate the fuel pump. Cranking was in the days of mechanical fuel pumps...no longer used.

Quick Reply: F-150 Won't Start - Ideas?