Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Extra Key

Old 03-22-2016, 11:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Extra Key

I was in Home Depot yesterday and I stopped by the key making area and asked if they could make an extra key for my 2007. He didn't have any with the chip in it but he made one that will open the doors and tailgate for $2.17. I tried it in the ignition and it turns but does not start. 2 bucks isn't bad for a key to hide on the truck somewhere in case of lockout.
Attached Thumbnails Extra Key-img_4308-1-.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Martian (03-24-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 PM

Received 268 Likes on 247 Posts

I did the same with my SCAB when I had it. I tied mine to the frame rail with some wire so it was with the truck. Hide-a-key boxes tend to come loose if they're in a bad spot and you hit some good bumps.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I always support with the extra key. If anyone is lost then second one works. Good idea!
Old 03-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by nrivera04
I did the same with my SCAB when I had it. I tied mine to the frame rail with some wire so it was with the truck. Hide-a-key boxes tend to come loose if they're in a bad spot and you hit some good bumps.
I have a box and was thinking about using it. My Dad has his extra wired to the frame on his 2001 also. I think the wire is the way I will go.
Old 03-23-2016, 09:20 AM

I found a spot that the key box fits in perfect inside a square part of the frame where it cant bounce out and am going with that.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:33 AM
GDN

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

I just had Home Depot cut a key for my '14. I bought it off Amazon - had the chip in it - works well. But - what I learned is that my Home Depot has a new key cutting machine - I assume they'll all upgrade eventually.

The new machine cuts the new key, based on a laser scan of the old key. Hhe just laid my old key in a compartment and closed the door - then put the new key in the slot - he told me it read the old key shape by laser. He then went through the menu - it asked what make, model, year of the vehicle the key was for. The menu had year models up through 2008 (and he had the chipped keys for 2008.) For those year models he told me it would read the chip in the key and then clone it to the new key as it cuts it. I think the keys were about $40.

To say the least - he went ahead and cut my key as a generic and it worked perfectly after I programmed it to the truck.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

I had a locksmith cut me a new key (and program it) so I would have two original keys (not clones). It matters because I can now program my own keys with the two originals, without needing anyone else's help.

You can't program new keys with two cloned keys, unfortunately, so that's why I went the route I did. I got charged $35 for it. And then I had him cut me a valet key (non-chip, only doors and tailgate like you got), for free.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:25 PM
GDN

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by elricfate
I had a locksmith cut me a new key (and program it) so I would have two original keys (not clones). It matters because I can now program my own keys with the two originals, without needing anyone else's help.

You can't program new keys with two cloned keys, unfortunately, so that's why I went the route I did. I got charged $35 for it. And then I had him cut me a valet key (non-chip, only doors and tailgate like you got), for free.
Agree and that is why I bought one off of ebay - didn't want a clone - wanted a 3rd unique key - if I lose one I'll still have two and can program others - 09-14 require two unique keys to program a new key.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:33 AM

When I bought my truck it only had one key. I took it to the Ford dealer and they made me another for $80 and it took about half an hour. So do I have a clone or two originals?
Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 338 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by STSCDave
When I bought my truck it only had one key. I took it to the Ford dealer and they made me another for $80 and it took about half an hour. So do I have a clone or two originals?
If it was a clone it would've been done in a couple minutes.

If they plugged a programmer into your ODBII after making the key and putting it in your ignition, you have an original (usually, especially because of the half hour bit, it takes about ten-fifteen minutes to program a new one)
The following users liked this post:
STSCDave (03-24-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Extra Key