Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Explain to me the dreaded transmission whine and what causes it

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Explain to me the dreaded transmission whine and what causes it

My 07 5.4 has recently started to whine. Definitely coming from the transmission area. I did alot of research, and almost all threads ended up with the transmission failing. Torque converters, planetaries, transfer case, many areas listed.

The whine usually becomes audible when the trans is ready to shift into 3rd gear, and fades slightly when in final OD. It does not make as much noise when I try it with OD off. It also starts soon after warming up, but not when cold. Different throttle positions did not change the tone, though it did need a load to make the noise. I tried different 2 & 4 WD settings on the switch, no difference.

Fortunately, I have the extended warranty, and it is going to the dealer tomorrow. It was in two months before for service, and I asked about the whine then, but the mechanics were deaf as usual. So this time, the whine is louder, and the focal point of the visit.

So, what truly causes this whine?

Many thanks,

Dan
Old 03-29-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 264 Likes on 214 Posts

I had the whine when accelerating, dropped my trans pan for a filter and fluid change and found out that it was the first time that it had been changed, the plastic dip stick stopper was still in the pan, 169,000 on the original fluid. Changed it out, topped it off, no more whine and great shifting.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:57 AM

Another general question would be to ask about your past experiences.

I notice when parked, I cannot get into 4X4 low. Is there a special procedure?
Old 03-30-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 136 Likes on 70 Posts

Do you have the floor shifter for 4X4? I always put it in neutral to shift into 4-low.
You pull the shifter back til it stops, push it sideways away from you, and pull back into 4 low. It took me a while to figure that out.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by MetalCutter
Do you have the floor shifter for 4X4? I always put it in neutral to shift into 4-low.
You pull the shifter back til it stops, push it sideways away from you, and pull back into 4 low. It took me a while to figure that out.

No, just the electric selector switch on the dash. I am just curious if something in the transfer case could be an issue.

But, still looking for whine answers.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are not doing so the transmission needs to be in neutral and the truck must be completely stopped to get into 4lo, same goes for getting out of 4lo. If it does not come out immediately some reverse or forward driving of a couple feet usually helps.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:32 AM

Took the truck back to the dealer last night where I bought it and have the extended warranty. A mechanic rode with me and heard the noise. He thinks it is a bearing in the transmission, an output bearing. They will tear down, and confirm it is covered.

I will post the diagnosis and outcome
Old 04-01-2016, 12:41 PM

Dealer just called, said it was the "#9" bearing in the transmission. Covered under the extended driveline warranty. Phew!!!! Otherwise, they said the trans was in great shape. So, I get a trans service to boot!

(Glad I bought that warranty!)

Quick Reply: Explain to me the dreaded transmission whine and what causes it