Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust question/opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question/opinions wanted

Ok so my new to me 08 stx 4.6 with 137k mi sounds way too mild for me.... I was thinking of cutting out the cat and replacing it with a cherry bomb gp or a high flow hooker muffler and removing the other muffler... I want it loud but not obnoxiously loud. Will either of these be too much?
I remember being the kid that cut his exhaust off in highschool and dont want that loud...

Last edited by David Golden; 05-03-2016 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:11 AM

Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Dont cut the cats off... that's just dumb, also if you cut the muffler out it will be very poppy, and loud.. best bet is to either do long tube headers.. or true duals, with a nice muffler like super 10 or super 44 series
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 AM

The previous owner already did an exhaust on it so i don't want to spend extra precious coin on a new one... But i think im going to go with the cherry bomb glass pack... Any opinions on the cherry???
Old 05-03-2016, 01:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David Golden
The previous owner already did an exhaust on it so i don't want to spend extra precious coin on a new one... But i think im going to go with the cherry bomb glass pack... Any opinions on the cherry???
Yeah, I would've gone with one if they weren't next to impossible to find in Canada. If you can get an actual Cherry Bomb, then I'd go with it. Just don't settle for a Thrush. Definitely not the same. That being said, I went with a FM Super 10, and love it. But some passengers consider it too loud.

Also, as already stated, please don't delete the cats.
Old 05-03-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBlurst
Yeah, I would've gone with one if they weren't next to impossible to find in Canada. If you can get an actual Cherry Bomb, then I'd go with it. Just don't settle for a Thrush. Definitely not the same. That being said, I went with a FM Super 10, and love it. But some passengers consider it too loud.

Also, as already stated, please don't delete the cats.
http://www.carid.com/cherry-bomb/cherry-bomb-performance-mufflers-79448725.html
Or
http://www.carid.com/cherry-bomb/cherry-bomb-performance-mufflers-79448670.html
Thinking the first might be too loud but not sure...

Last edited by David Golden; 05-03-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:06 PM

I have a cherry bomb extreme on my 4.6. its a single in dual out muffler and it sounds amazing. I get compliments all the time.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshg95
I have a cherry bomb extreme on my 4.6. its a single in dual out muffler and it sounds amazing. I get compliments all the time.
Yeah, I went with the Super 10 because it was really similar in design to the Cherry Bomb Extreme. Single in 2.5" in, dual 2.25" out. I think the only difference is the Flowmaster has a 6.5" chamber, and the Cherry Bomb's is only 6".
Old 05-03-2016, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of your brappy chambered exhausts like flow master get their signature sound via countering expansion waves off of walls and each other. "Turbo" style exhausts use the collapse of the first wave to help suck the second wave out as the first leaves the pipe. In other words, if you pick it up and can't see straight through the thing, you're paying for a brand name and a noise. Sure, back pressure may be a little improved over stock with chambered pipes, but not to the degree of a turbo. FYI, the latest model f series are basically using turbo pipes. Someone with more than a little knowledge in the field did a great breakdown on here a while ago, including data. I don't think it's sticky, though, I'll see if I can find it.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question/opinions wanted