Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default exhaust question

I have a 08 STX with a 4.6. I currently have just a magnaflow 6x18 round muffler with all stock piping exiting the stock location. I am looking for a bit more volume and was thinking if i exit just before the rear tire and put a 3.5in diameter tip would get what i am looking for. My biggest concern is drone in the cab i can handle a little drone and thats sorta expected but do'nt want to drone myself outa the cab. Any insite or opinions would be great

Thanks guys and gals
Old 04-08-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

This is a no drone 18" magnaflow muffler 12288 SI/DO:

If you dump behind the rear tire however, you will be placing the drone closer to your ear, which sounds like what your trying to avoid.

No drone cruising:
Old 04-08-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have the 18 inch Magna flow on my 4.6 and have it exiting in front of the rear tire. Love the sound and no drone. Tip does nothing to the sound at all. Tip is simply for looks. Nothing more
Old 04-10-2012, 09:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i was told the tip acts kinda like a bull horn and makes the sound louder slightly of course.....so would moving the exit make it louder compared to the stock location??? i like the tone already just a bit too quiet.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

tip does make a difference quite a bit of difference i have cat back straight pipe 3in side exit with a 4.5 inch tip before that i just took the stock muffler out and had it side exit with stock piping no tip... certain rpms are loud in the cab but cruising down the highway is comfortable i would say it shouldn't be bad in the cab if you were using a flowmaster it would be a different story
Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM

All I can really say is I've spent my entire career building custom exhaust systems for different peoples vehicles. That is what I do for a job. What is very very few applications exhaust tip size does not change the sound of the exhaust. This is an absolute myth perpetuated by more more people who speak about things they do not know.

I 4 fact to bill 5 complete exhaust systems for f 150 s both with 5.4 liters in 4.6 liters.

The only reason that any of them sound different from each other is due to a different sized pipes used and different mufflers. This is because these are the 2 largest contributors to exhaust sound quality and tone besides the engine itself. In some cases the chip can alter what is called the finish of the exhaust which can either be smooth or raspy but this technically is not the sound of the exhaust.

Having an exhaust outlet closer to the cab will increase the volume. No question there.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

alright well normally i would just ignore this but don't like when people try to explain something and then tell someone else they don't know anything.... well lets say if tip doesn't make a difference then you can go from a 3in pipe to 1.5" tip with no sound difference right? and I'm not talking about auto parts store clamp on tips I'm talking true exhaust tips welded on, my "tip" is about 14" long at 4.5" diameter from a 3" pipe.
How can you say that a chip isn't technically changing the exhaust sound? the different sound you here is from the tune from the chip changing the timing of the motor witch changes an exhaust tone! engine creates exhaust tone you say it yourself! and like i said i would normally ignore this but don't come out and tell someone they don't know anything.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:31 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Take a look a my Exhaust Tip. It didn't significantly change the sound any if at all from just the muffler with the 90° pipe on it.

However I made it so that I could place baffles in it in case my exhaust was to loud. Unless your tip is changing the velocity of the gas, it's not going to change any. If my Exhaust tip provides a very small megaphone effect, and I would consider mine best case scenario for this happening, then any decibel change in a standard tip would be negligible at best.
Attached Thumbnails exhaust question-image-163654055.jpg   exhaust question-image-826071870.jpg  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:58 AM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

I was not talking about tips. I was talking about the location of where you exit. The further away from the cab (your ear), the lower the decibel inside the cab. (muffler choice and pipe diameter are also significant factors)
I'm not gonna regale anyone with the extensive history of my exhaust system installation history, but the location of your exhaust, regardless of tip, will make a different sound in different locations (in the cab). If you dump it closer to the cab, you will hear a different note then if you dump it behind the bed(in the cab). Since muffler choice and pipe diameter is the biggest contributor to the tone in general, you may want to pick a less aggressive sounding muffler (longer muffler), if you are looking for a no "in cab" drone sound.
I hope this helps you out OP.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:09 PM

I apologize for my post it was supposed to say tip not chip. I am in my shop and use voice to text for inputting text. Chips can change the sound of an exhaust per timing etc but even then it is very minimal. Tips will not significantly change the sound of an exhaust period. You can be irritated all you want but this is fact as other members have attested to.

Normally I would claim just my opinion but building exhausts like I do is a science not opinions, so i am very sorry but anyone who.claims their tip changed their sound is just plain wrong.

But to get back up the original topic asked by the starter of this thread my recommendation would be to exit the pipe at a 90 just in front of the rear tire. I recommend a pancake cut although slight with the longer side up. This helps keep carbon off your trucks paint. Think you'll like the slight increase in sound.

If that's still not loud enough I would recommend going to a different style muffler. The best sounding exhausts never come from a box, but modifying what you can buy in a box can be just as impressive.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: exhaust question