Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust problems? help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust problems? help!

I recently bought a 06 f150 5.4l crew cab maybe 6 mo ago with 75k. when i first got the truck everything seemed to be mechanically sound with out any problems. I drive 50 miles one way to work a day all interstate. Now, the trouble im having. Ever since i bought the truck it seemed to just have "not enough" power as expected. As time goes on i started noticing at real low rpms when im barely on the gas the truck will jump almost as if the backpressure from the exhuast isnt right but if i press the gas it will switch into overdrive an drive right out of the jumpyness.

Truck sounded like it had an aftermarket muffler when purchased, Bank1 Cat convs. has been changed due to throwing a engine code once every blue moon. Have tried 93 gas as well as fuel treatments.

The problem, When towing or regular driving at lower rpms (not highway) as im driving down the road normally, as it switches a gear an its at the lowest rpm of that gear, the truck will be jumpy an shake the truck. If i accelerate when its jumpy, the truck will switch into overdrive into a higher rpm an be just fine.

When i replaced the cat convs. the first 2 to 3 days the truck ran fine with no problems!
Old 02-28-2013, 01:56 PM

As i opened my eyes and read the sticky about the air filter foam, i will defiently be looking into it. Truck curently has a "true air" filter pipe deal on it currently.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Mark

Received 2,417 Likes on 2,118 Posts

what about the other cat ?? sounds sort of like a clogged cat..
Old 02-28-2013, 06:13 PM

thats what it sounded like to me as well, as it made since to why my engine light would come on once a month an go right back off for a bank1 conv. But a couple days after the new conv. on the bank1 side, the problem slowly came back. Hate to spend another $750 for the bank 2 side if thats for sure not the problem.

Quick Reply: Exhaust problems? help!