Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exhaust manifold studs what a ?itch

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust manifold studs what a ?itch

Well i bought this truck 2 months ago 2007 ford f-150 screw 4wd needing some work . i did the cam phasers and timing chain along with plugs and oil change and she ran great .

But i had this annoying sputter from the passenger ex manfold when it was cold. So i decided it was time for a gasket the studs were rusty but not horrific. Much to my surprise when i got into it the 2 front studs were snapped of about 1/8 of an inch inside the heads apparently the studs were replaced once because i found 2 rusty studs laying in the motor mount apparently they broke the front 2 and left it like that.

so off to the tool shop i needed a 90 degree air operated drill and some short shank drill bits along with a m8x1.25 tap. I had already purchased s.s studs and nuts along with felpro gaskets off ebay..

Let me tell you it is tight in there but the repair can be done after 10 hours on the passenger side i had it all repaired and put back together correctly now next weekend i will tackle the drivers side but those studs look alot better and probably would be fine for a long time . But i have the new gaskets and s.s studs so they are going in i think the drivers side should be about a 2 hour job.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel sorry for you on that one, those studs are a pain in the *** with the motor on the table

Quick Reply: exhaust manifold studs what a ?itch