Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust Leak... Headers vs. manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust Leak... Headers vs. manifolds?

Developed an exhaust leak coming from the passenger side.. Anyone have this fixed? cost to fix with stock stuff?

Otherwise I'm not oppossed to getting some headers right away but cannot yet afford to get any other exhaust stuff.. If anyone has any links to good headers that actually bolt right on to the rest of the stock exhaust without problems let me know...

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2009, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an exhaust leak on my 02 F-150. it ended up being a leak in the (rather a lack of) gasket right before the headers. ford is famous for putting aluminum against steel with only a gasket in between. with the different thermal conductivities of the two metals, the aluminum warps at a different rate than the steel. as a result, the studs holding the headers on break and the gasket falls out. thus producing the exhaust leak.

i would suggest getting it fixed right away. my 02 had the leak when i bought it. apparently it had the leak long enough to rust out the transmission dipstick tube due to the heat of the exhaust. i got mine fixed at a local repair shop for around $300.00 including labor. If you try to do it your self, i know they sell repair kits for them. however, the instructions have you pulling the engine out of the engine compartment (at least for the 5.4L V-8).

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak... Headers vs. manifolds?