Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exhaust at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust at idle

I have a 2006 5.4 with a 2.5" dual exhaust with 12"-15" glasspacks and no crossover. It sounds fine when under power, but at idle if makes a bubbly/hickup type sound, which is usually worse on the right side(from the back). Is this a typical 5.4 thing, because of the no crossover, or do you think its something to do with the glasspacks? I am considering re-doing the muffler section with an H pipe and either straights or a couple of mufflers. The volume right now is just a little loud, but overall close to being about right. What does everybody recommend?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Yank the glasspacks. The packing material will soon burn out, leaving you with basically a straight pipe with some minor baffling. Doing a search (or reading the 3 or more current threads on this forum pertaining to mufflers and exhausts) will net you a good muffler choice with great performance and sound. Your current glasspacks are going to become progressivly louder within the cab.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 01-06-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 AM

I had true dual straight pipes on my 06 f150 with the 5.4 with no crossover and it made the same sound. I put a X pipe in it a day or to ago and it took care of the hickup noise it was making and gave it a deeper tone. Not as loud as it was having the two pipes separated but has alot better sound to it and does not pop and crack at high rpm's.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:59 AM

Um i have the samee problem with my truck, however i don't have a glasspack. when i got my exhaust done i was told i had a leak in the passenger manifold and it wouldnt do any more harm for a while so i drove with it for about a month and the truck sounded fine. when i had them fix it, after it got warm it made that weird sound idling so i took it back and they did some pondering and examining and concluded that the leak had gutted out my cats and that wwas the noise. um havent got it fixed yet so i'm not sure if they were right but just letting you know if you try other stuff and it doesnt work, keep this in mind.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle7
Um i have the samee problem with my truck, however i don't have a glasspack. when i got my exhaust done i was told i had a leak in the passenger manifold and it wouldnt do any more harm for a while so i drove with it for about a month and the truck sounded fine. when i had them fix it, after it got warm it made that weird sound idling so i took it back and they did some pondering and examining and concluded that the leak had gutted out my cats and that wwas the noise. um havent got it fixed yet so i'm not sure if they were right but just letting you know if you try other stuff and it doesnt work, keep this in mind.
That's a new one. I don't see how an exhaust leak in a manifold could cause your cat(s) to burn out.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dogman_528
I had true dual straight pipes on my 06 f150 with the 5.4 with no crossover and it made the same sound. I put a X pipe in it a day or to ago and it took care of the hickup noise it was making and gave it a deeper tone. Not as loud as it was having the two pipes separated but has alot better sound to it and does not pop and crack at high rpm's.

How much quieter did it get when you put in the crossover? I might just ditch mufflers all together and put an H pipe in place of my glasspacks if its not going to get much louder
Old 01-10-2009, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by glanker
How much quieter did it get when you put in the crossover? I might just ditch mufflers all together and put an H pipe in place of my glasspacks if its not going to get much louder
It made the cab noise alot quieter and it would prolly still be quite abit louder than what your glasspack setup is but I am not for sure. I am not sure how much difference there is between the two since I have had the straight pipes on mine since I have owned it.

Quick Reply: exhaust at idle