Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust ideas

Hello, I'm wanting to do exhaust on my 07 f150 5.4 3v flex fuel. I'm wondering what your guys opinions are. I want it to be loud. I'm not looking for ear splitting loud, but I want a good deep sound without much crackle to it and don't wanna put something on that isn't going to have enough back pressure. I'm still pretty new with this 5.4. All ideas or opinions are welcomed
Old 06-30-2014, 12:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just hooked up a thrush welded behind my 04 with a 4.6 ... pretty throaty but still really quiet. Just youtube what options you think would work best. Hope this helps
Old 06-30-2014, 12:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok First of all if you don't want loud the 5.4 isn't a loud motor. its gunna sound roughly the same with any type exhaust. I have header back true dual exhaust with two glass packs and my old suburban with a flowmaster exhaust was louder. The burban was even louder than when i first installed my headers and started it just for giggles for a sec. That modular motor isn't a loud motor at all. where you get the deep loud resonating is mostly from your exhaust tips. I'm not sure how to attach a audio clip if i did id go start my truck and rev it a few times to give you and idea of how loud pretty much a straight thru dual 2.5 inch exhausts is... stock cats so i'm sure thats where alot of my sound is getting trapped at. A stock dodge Hemi 1500 is louder than my fully modded exhaust on my truck. I don't think you have to worry. Just fyi i got my headers x pipe tubing bends and clamps from summit racing equipment all for about 400 bucks and assembled it myself but i have a welder so if thats not an option for you the pre made kits will work out for you nice.

Last edited by Trent W; 06-30-2014 at 01:02 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeRomo
Hello, I'm wanting to do exhaust on my 07 f150 5.4 3v flex fuel. I'm wondering what your guys opinions are. I want it to be loud. I'm not looking for ear splitting loud, but I want a good deep sound without much crackle to it and don't wanna put something on that isn't going to have enough back pressure. I'm still pretty new with this 5.4. All ideas or opinions are welcomed
I have a single flow master super 10 SI/SO , it's perfect sound, not to much and it doesn't crack a whole lot, but when you put the gas down it screams
Old 08-06-2014, 03:51 PM

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

From my research (years of owning ford modular motors and playing around with the exhaust) I have reached a conclusion that's a bit of my opinion on what the best sounding, performing exhaust is.

Dual in, dual out magnaflow mufflers with high flow cats and some sort of crossover pipe (x-pipe or H-pipe). 2.5 inch piping, get the tips you want and have it custom bent at any exhaust shop.

It will almost sound a bit racey like a mustang or something of that nature, have a nice growl but not be obnoxiously loud. You can skip on the high flow cats if you want but it won't be as loud if you do. They're about $200 a piece, I went with magnaflow.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:00 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

I myself am not a supporter of flowmaster on any Ford motor. Reason being is that Ford developed their motors to be as efficient and powerful as possible with the stock airbox and exhaust. Flowmaster mufflers are chambered and therefore actually restrict airflow compared to the stock muffler. If you go about doing a piece together yourself type setup, go with a through style muffler such as Magnaflow, Corsa, or Borla. Pipe diameter is going to also be a big player in the overall volume and tone of the exhaust. Narrow pipe will produce a louder but more high pitch tone while larger diameter will be somewhat quieter but deeper in sound. As far as back pressure is concerned, dont be tooworried about it if your setup will be a catback system. I will try to find the thread that was posted up about how back pressure and scavenging actually works out, but if you take anything from it, just remember that the party ends at the cats. Moving on, I would say, look at some videos online, do some real research and not just go with what everybody tells you to do. My King Ranch is straight piped but I'm not going to tell you to do that because its my personal taste and I have no clue what you like and dont like. And as always, remember in the end it's your truck and whatever makes you smile is the right thing to do.

Chive On
Old 08-06-2014, 04:04 PM

Received 228 Likes on 175 Posts

Magnaflow 16616 is perfect. I dont have a sound clip but if you go to Magnaflows site it sounds identical to the clip on their 5.4 raptor. No drone on highway either.

This one dumps out like a NASCAR exhaust, in front the rear tire.

Last edited by RajunKajun59; 08-06-2014 at 04:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Exhaust ideas