Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exhaust hp gains

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default exhaust hp gains

I'm thinking of getting new exhaust on my 06 f150 crew. I want to get best gains. I'm not worried about the money. I have been thinking about doing true duals. What setup would be best. I've been told magnaflow or borla would be better than flowmaster because flowmaster is chambered; and to get more power stay away from chambered. Also, if I go true duals would x pipe be better than h pipe? Hope someone can shed some light on the power gains
Old 01-07-2015, 12:48 PM
Chive So Hard

Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts

You wont have any true horsepower gains with a simple bolt-on exhaust systems. Ford designed these trucks to be as efficient as possible with stock intake and exhaust. You will gain a good sound from going with any exhaust and yes you might lose power from a chambered exhaust such as flowmaster. If you do want to gain a bit of power you will want to do headers as well as a custom tune on an SCT or Gryphon tuner. Even the canned tunes on any SCT will give you the power you might be looking for but as I stated earlier, and exhaust will not. Hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:49 PM
Chive So Hard

Oh and to add on to your question of H vs X pipes, I have always heard that an X pipe will be your better option
Old 01-07-2015, 01:59 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm not gonna argue with kcco fox, but although minimal I'm almost positive you will gain a few ponies over stock by going aftermarket. Will you really feel it? nope. Will it sound "better" that is your call. Although I do agree with his statement that a tuner and a full exhaust system including headers will net you the power you are probably looking for. As far as brands once you realize how terrible the quality of a flowmaster is vs just about any other muffler as far as power goes none of them will give you more than 1 or 2 hp difference. I have had flowmasters thrush and magnaflow, and I can guarantee you the magnaflow is of much higher quality than the flowmaster.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ok, thanks guys. I planned on buying a set of headers. I guess it would probably be best if I bought them before I did the exhaust. What about cats? Should I leave them or go with a set of high flow cats? And would it be better to do true duals or just single in dual out
Old 01-07-2015, 03:11 PM
Chive So Hard

If you get headers, you will have to choose between short or long tube. Do a bit of research as to the benefits of each and what you feel will be best for you. If you go the long tube route you will have to redo the entire exhaust system from the flange back. If your state or county requires you to have cats then go with a good set of hi flow cats that are meant for your truck. If your artea doesnt require them, might as well not have them. I personally dont like them and they are in no way shape or form advantageous to performance in any variation. Now as far as either doing a true dual, a single into dual, or dual into single, it really all depends on your prefernce on looks and sound. Youtube is your friend.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
If you get headers, you will have to choose between short or long tube. Do a bit of research as to the benefits of each and what you feel will be best for you. If you go the long tube route you will have to redo the entire exhaust system from the flange back. If your state or county requires you to have cats then go with a good set of hi flow cats that are meant for your truck. If your artea doesnt require them, might as well not have them. I personally dont like them and they are in no way shape or form advantageous to performance in any variation. Now as far as either doing a true dual, a single into dual, or dual into single, it really all depends on your prefernce on looks and sound. Youtube is your friend.
Where is a place that doesn't require them? As far as USA, it's federal law.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Chive So Hard

They are required by law to be put on during manufacturing. Depending on your location can determine if it is required to keep them, ie emissions laws and testing.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:39 PM
F150 Forum

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Flowmaster offers an American Thunder kit for your truck that sounds great and will boost your performance numbers. We have seen over 10 horsepower and 15 pounds of torque at the rear wheels on a bone stock truck. If you add a cold air intake system, programmer etc., you will see larger gains with bolt-ons because your truck will be able to ‘exhale’ better. Flowmaster offers a limited lifetime warranty against defects in materials and workmanship on our stainless steel kits and they are an easy, at home install.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by KCCOFox
They are required by law to be put on during manufacturing. Depending on your location can determine if it is required to keep them, ie emissions laws and testing.
Legally that is false. It's 100% illegal to alter your cats in any way including removing them. Can you do it and get away with it? Maybe, but it is illegal.
The following users liked this post:
techrep (01-08-2015)

Quick Reply: exhaust hp gains