Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exhaust hanger setups

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust hanger setups

Looking for ideas on how to fabricate an exhaust hanger for support. Have my exhaust dumped before the axle pretty much right out the muffler. Can't use the stock hanger because its seized. Need some ideas.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 AM

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

I am by no means an expert but I re-routed mine too but not as quick and short as yours. I literally used a cheap pep boys hanger that was some weird combo of metal bracket with holes and some sort of heat resistant material and I believe it came with an exhaust clamp too. It pivots, so what I did was twist the metal part with the holes and attached it right to my frame. I think I tried to self tap a larger screw through one of my frame holes but ended up welding it right to my frame. it worked because it had some play to make it fit. Looks ok and I suck at welding but its a quick fix and its been on for almost a yr with no problems
Old 01-28-2016, 04:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It doesn't show the whole hanger, but you can see most it in this video. I don't have any pictures of it. The top just uses a long 1/4"-20 bolt through one of the stock rubber pieces from the hanger. I bought the adjustable hanger from O'Reilly.

Old 01-28-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy J
I am by no means an expert but I re-routed mine too but not as quick and short as yours. I literally used a cheap pep boys hanger that was some weird combo of metal bracket with holes and some sort of heat resistant material and I believe it came with an exhaust clamp too. It pivots, so what I did was twist the metal part with the holes and attached it right to my frame. I think I tried to self tap a larger screw through one of my frame holes but ended up welding it right to my frame. it worked because it had some play to make it fit. Looks ok and I suck at welding but its a quick fix and its been on for almost a yr with no problems
I've used the same setup from Oreilly's.
Comes with a clamp, a strip of metal with holes, some rubber and bolts. Used it on a previous vehicle and held up with no issues for 4 years before I traded it in for my F150. Pretty much universal fit.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

What do you mean by seized? It is a piece of metal through a rubber hanger. Yes it can get stuck but a little heat and it will come out.

Mine was "siezed" as well but I heated it and pulled it out. It stinks as some rubber burn when you do this. I then used a piece of small round stock and bent it to my needs, then welded to the pipe.

On the other hand the hanger noted above does a fine job as well and is an easy intsal. Find some place to drive a self taper through or a hole that you can put a bolt through, and clamp to the pipe.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
What do you mean by seized? It is a piece of metal through a rubber hanger. Yes it can get stuck but a little heat and it will come out.

Mine was "siezed" as well but I heated it and pulled it out. It stinks as some rubber burn when you do this. I then used a piece of small round stock and bent it to my needs, then welded to the pipe.

On the other hand the hanger noted above does a fine job as well and is an easy intsal. Find some place to drive a self taper through or a hole that you can put a bolt through, and clamp to the pipe.
The one that runs down the passenger side frame rail. They want you to relocate it. The bolt is stripped and seized. Haven't tried heat figured it'd be easier to just make one for the new position
Old 01-29-2016, 02:06 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

I did not have to relocate as I used a piece of round bar so I just made it the way I wanted it. If you have access to an oxy/acy torch the old piece will come out, unless it's just the bolt for the hanger. If that is the case just make a new rod, bent appropriately and weld.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
I did not have to relocate as I used a piece of round bar so I just made it the way I wanted it. If you have access to an oxy/acy torch the old piece will come out, unless it's just the bolt for the hanger. If that is the case just make a new rod, bent appropriately and weld.
I'm gonna figure out something. Thanks for the input.

Quick Reply: exhaust hanger setups