Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Exhaust cutout before Cat??

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Exhaust cutout before Cat??

Well to some this may sound ridiculous and I understand that, but my Evil150 is just that, Evil. So naturally I would like to throw some flames out of my exhaust. From what I've read its possible to have a flame thrower kit on a fuel injected V8 as long as you don't have any cats. So would it be possible to get an exhaust cut out before the cat and reroute my exhaust to the tip and then have a dummy exhaust with a cat & muffler and dump it somewhere so when I like I could switch to my electric cutoff before the cat and shoot flames? I'm not asking if this is legal or not, just if anyone knows if its possible.
Old 03-14-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the 4 cats and 4 o2 sensors all in the way to do a plumb job before would be tough. I'd just tap in after the last cat on both sides and go from there. I doubt you'd see much of a horse power increase anyway. You'll be able to make noise though.

I'm sure someone will disagree with me but the trucks get what the get for mpg. The way you drive is the real key. I got my truck used and the first owner had done all the so called mpg mods. It had a cold air intake system on it by Air Raid. I hated the roar the intake on made acceleration so I swapped with a guy at work for the stock one. Acording to my Edge there was not a difference in the mpg.

My point is if you do the cutouts do it for the noise.

Good luck take some picks! It's an interesting mod. Pipes out the side would be cool
Old 03-14-2010, 11:35 AM
Paint it black

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i have one 3 inch cut out located about 3-5 inches after the Y and i shoot flames with out a spark plug. i am running 2% rich at wot setting on my sct but i can do it with out the tune also.
Old 03-14-2010, 02:37 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

will the exhaust cut out do any damage to the truck i want to do this mod cause i have a flowmaster with 3 inch tube turn dwn and want a louder rumble and i was told this is the only way to go but i want to make sure it wont damage anything and i live in california and iv read that its ilegal any ruth to that
Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM
Paint it black

Originally Posted by frdrdr4life
will the exhaust cut out do any damage to the truck i want to do this mod cause i have a flowmaster with 3 inch tube turn dwn and want a louder rumble and i was told this is the only way to go but i want to make sure it wont damage anything and i live in california and iv read that its ilegal any ruth to that
when i lived in cali the inspector told me all mods post cats are legal...idk if thats just with him or all around, but a cut out is easy to hide, just put a new piece of pipe in when you get inspected and swap it out when you run the cut out.

i was warned by one guy that it can burn valves up but i dont know if there is any truth to that. i have yet to toss a code and i have been using this baby for about 7-8 months id say?
Old 03-14-2010, 04:53 PM

yea if i go along with the mod ill put the cut out b4 the muffler..the olny thing holding me back is breaking something but seems like it should be ok. i dont have to worry bout smog check for a few yrs so i might just be ready to ordering one.. do u have a recomindation on brand to purchase i was looking at the jegs product but i dont think they make a 3 inch one so what would you recomend.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Paint it black

Originally Posted by frdrdr4life
yea if i go along with the mod ill put the cut out b4 the muffler..the olny thing holding me back is breaking something but seems like it should be ok. i dont have to worry bout smog check for a few yrs so i might just be ready to ordering one.. do u have a recomindation on brand to purchase i was looking at the jegs product but i dont think they make a 3 inch one so what would you recomend.
my summit electric cost me under 200, and they have a great customer service policy, if you break a motor they are big on helping you out. the motor is quick and powerful.

qtp is the best in the buisness but expensive and the valve doesnt open as quick as the summit ones do
Old 03-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Paint it black

by the way, head on over to my build thread, i posted up 4 new cut out vids
Old 03-14-2010, 11:06 PM

truck sounds good im seriously concidering this mod ill check out summit i was gonna get the maual cut out but i think electric is the way to go
Old 03-14-2010, 11:18 PM

i was looking at the electric cut outs but im curious as to why the electric ones show just one pipe as the manual ones show 2 pipes???

Quick Reply: Exhaust cutout before Cat??