Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

exaust heat,can it melt anything under my truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 03:47 AM
VanoFord2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default exaust heat,can it melt anything under my truck

So OK,i had my cat back duals put on about a year ago.The place i took it to,midas,i think in my opinion could have welded the tips on better(maybe cause i am welder by trade,lol)Also could have hung both pipes even and to me the sound was kinda week(super 44's),So yesterday i said screw it I'm gonna hack the tips off cause i was getting tires of looking at them and how other ppl would see how uneven they are.So took my trusty saw saw and hacked the tips off.To me it sounds better with a deeper tone.Now my question is,both of my pipes now are under the bed of the truck.Can the heat from the exhaust cause anything to melt?I'm curious?or will it be fine?I ask because of course most exhaust tips our routed out from under the truck.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:12 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

nope... alot people people run there exhoust like that..as long as its not touching or blowing onto a piece of plastic or rubber....ive seen alot of trucks that they got pised at there tips and they jsut cut them off.....hell i run my blazer bb chevy with headers and 18inchs of 3inch pipe...and it damn neer blows right on the transmission and transfercase
Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bobkyle2
nope... alot people people run there exhoust like that..as long as its not touching or blowing onto a piece of plastic or rubber....ive seen alot of trucks that they got pised at there tips and they jsut cut them off.....hell i run my blazer bb chevy with headers and 18inchs of 3inch pipe...and it damn neer blows right on the transmission and transfercase
And hopefully not into the back window of your cab. I'll assume you don't have the opening rear cab window.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:46 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

....its my mud race truck... it doesnt even have the top on it..or tailgate its a full size blazer
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, but things can get kinda hot back there.................

I was helping a buddy move back from college (several years ago) using his 1965 Chevy half ton..........which had wood planks for the floor of the bed...........and a tail pipe that looped up over the rear axle.
Half way back home the tail pipe broke. Fifty miles later a truck driver pretty much forced us off the road because we didn't notice that the bed was on fire!!!

The tail pipe broke right at the top of it's bend over the axle and the exhaust acted like a blowtorch against the wooden bed floor.

I think the worst you will have to worry about is toasted paint on the frame.

Bob the Fool
Old 01-20-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The muffler shop I went to bent my pipes down a little so it wouldnt blow directly on the rear axle, the guy said thats the only thing you might have to worry about is if it was blowing directly on the back axle, if not, its good to go.

Quick Reply: exaust heat,can it melt anything under my truck