Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

For everyone with the misterious bogging down issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For everyone with the misterious bogging down issue

As the title states...I was having an issue with the cylinder 5 misfire.
I changed the plug, coil, coil connector to the wiring harness, and still had the issue.

Mine was so bad that I couldn't even pull out of my driveway. My truck was bogging down so much. Long story short, it was the driver side catalytic converter. it was blocked so badly the truck was only running on four cylinders.

I hate to admit it, but I am being convinced that this issue was caused by my air intake, and my evo....

With the truck running lean due to the intake then the added stress of the evo on the engine, (I never got around to getting custom tunes).

so....even if the cat hasn't thrown a code...check it out.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Heh, 'member'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the PSA. Be sure to mention this the next time you see a "which CAI" thread...should only be a few minutes before the next one.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What did you do to diagnose? Pull the o2 and look for hamster fluff or what?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my buddy just had his 06 5.4 with 60,000 miles replaced for free at ford because of a warranty extension to 75,000 miles? but all new headers back to exhaust pipe with new cats. all in all his trcuk was running funny and had it took to a firestone shop where they replaced the injectors, some hose for the booster adn plugs. then they found it to be the cats and it was replaced for free at the ford dealer!
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck has 67k and is driven all day long everyday...
To diagnose:
I pulled the O2 sensor in front of the cat, truck idled great. When the sensor is put back in truck almost died....it only allows a minor bit of exhaust out, but with a blocked cat no exhaust gets out.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it was something I noticed.

REDNECK METHOD BE CAREFUL!!!!!

From a cold start:

Start the truck let it run for 2 mins. or so. I briefly touched the exhaust pipe in front of the cat.....(WARM)

Then I touched the cat....(warmer---to hot)

Exhaust pipe after the cat....(Cold)

Redneck logic...exhaust is stuck in the cat not reaching the pipe after the cat.

Disclaimer:

No rednecks were harmed or injured in the above listed test.

I'm sure one of the engineers on here will pipe in an say use a laser thermometer....
Old 07-19-2011, 05:02 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDFX
As the title states...I was having an issue with the cylinder 5 misfire.
I changed the plug, coil, coil connector to the wiring harness, and still had the issue.

Mine was so bad that I couldn't even pull out of my driveway. My truck was bogging down so much. Long story short, it was the driver side catalytic converter. it was blocked so badly the truck was only running on four cylinders.

I hate to admit it, but I am being convinced that this issue was caused by my air intake, and my evo....

With the truck running lean due to the intake then the added stress of the evo on the engine, (I never got around to getting custom tunes).

so....even if the cat hasn't thrown a code...check it out.
My truck is in the shop right now getting an entire exhaust overhaul, i'll post results and hopefully mine are the same as yours. I do not have a CAI or an EVO yet, but they are standby pending the exhaust work and bogging fix...
Old 07-19-2011, 05:49 PM

is yours coverd under the ford warrenty? (cant spell) also are you replacing with factory or high flow cats?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Ian_T_S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by countryboyFx4
is yours coverd under the ford warrenty? (cant spell) also are you replacing with factory or high flow cats?
No it's out of warranty, the truck has 122k on it. It's getting long tube headers, two high flow cats, xpipe, true duals, two mufflers and two pass. Side exit chrome tips

Sent from my iPad using F150 Forum
Old 07-19-2011, 06:33 PM

Received 125 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by 08REDFX
My truck has 67k and is driven all day long everyday...
To diagnose:
I pulled the O2 sensor in front of the cat, truck idled great. When the sensor is put back in truck almost died....it only allows a minor bit of exhaust out, but with a blocked cat no exhaust gets out.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it was something I noticed.

REDNECK METHOD BE CAREFUL!!!!!

From a cold start:

Start the truck let it run for 2 mins. or so. I briefly touched the exhaust pipe in front of the cat.....(WARM)

Then I touched the cat....(warmer---to hot)

Exhaust pipe after the cat....(Cold)

Redneck logic...exhaust is stuck in the cat not reaching the pipe after the cat.

Disclaimer:

No rednecks were harmed or injured in the above listed test.

I'm sure one of the engineers on here will pipe in an say use a laser thermometer....
looks like you need to make an appointment with the ford dealer to get that replaced under federal emissions warranty.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:38 PM

flamehead thanks for chiming in with the corect termanology
ian t s be sure to post up some pics when its all finished if you wouldnt mind i would like to see how they weld in the o2 sensors because i am also thinking about high flow cats! are all of them universal or is there a specifiv part # through the various manufactures of high flows that our trucks need for the o2 sensors to read propely whats installed?

Quick Reply: For everyone with the misterious bogging down issue