Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

This ever happen to anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default This ever happen to anyone?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

No, that's strange. Never had that happen to me.

I wonder if the oil pump is actually stopping for those few seconds.

What are your truck stats?

You have a programmer? Are you throwing any codes after that happens?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM

2006 4.6 v8. i just droped a new engine last month and the new one only has 2,000 or so on it.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:59 PM

no codes i do have a programer, cortex by superchips. but at the time it was set back to normal, i to get a new inspection sticker. the shop i go to is picky about them being programed when he plugs it in.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Seņor Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

So I googled "f150 oil pressure drop", and found a thread in another forum with some good suggestions.

Not sure how many would apply, but they are a good start.

"Sounds like the oil pressure sensor might be going bad or the connection is loose."

"I agree, it's probably the oil pressure sending unit. Keep in mind, it's a dummy oilpressuregauge. It doesn't show variations in oil pressure. When the oil pressure reaches about 7 PSI, the sending unit "switch" closes, and the gauge reads about half scale. When the oil pressure is below the 7 PSI, the gauge reads ZERO."

"I read your post and I agree with the bad sending unit, as it's the most likely problem. Since you haven't updated the post I'll toss a few other ideas out there. IF the sending unit doesn't correct the problem. It could be one of the following, A dirty pickup tube screen on the oil pump causing pump cavitation at higher RPM's, an oilfilter with a collapsed filter element, the bypass valve and/or weak bypass spring in the oil pump allowing the bypass to open and dump oil pressure back into the oil pan or excessive clearances in a worn oil pump. Just ideas in case the sending unit is not the problem. The "ticking" sound you hear leads me to believe the engine is actually be losing oil pressure."
Old 04-20-2012, 02:05 PM

well then, that was verry helpful. i will check the filter, i hope its not the sensor its brand new. that thing was like 145 bucks.

Quick Reply: This ever happen to anyone?