Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

EVAP Monitor Mode $06 data

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 11:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default EVAP Monitor Mode $06 data

I often run a full diagnostic with a scanner and the Torque Pro app. Truck runs fine but I was wondering about the evap monitor. Every time I have found the following results:

MID:$3a TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$3a TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
--
MID:$3a TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (cap off)
--
MID:$3b TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: 895.25Pa Min: -8,192Pa
Test result value: 18Pa
PASS
----
MID:$3c TID:$80
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")

Does anyone know what this means or what I should do to fix the problem? Is this a problem? Truck is a 2006 f150, engine is a 5.4L and was rebuilt by a Ford dealership.
Old 01-02-2017, 12:51 AM

Anyone..? I still haven't figured it out yet :/
Old 01-02-2017, 06:31 AM
05 5.4l 3v s.crew lariat

Received 627 Likes on 564 Posts

Default Just a little knowledge of system

Emissions requires that the fuel system vapors are captured and burnt instead of just being vented . It uses a purge solenoid and vacuum to do that . It basically pulls small vacuum on fuel tank and system .
I think this can be a relearn problem with a reman engine . Conditions have to be right for test . Fuel tank can't be low and some driving conditions must be met . Some drive time may be required . One simple cause can be loose gas cap or defective same .
Vacuum leak can cause this also . My friends failure was the rolled gasket on the gas tank fuel pump assembly .
My wifes explorer was a vacuum leak on the purge solenoid ,the alcohol in the gas ate a hole in the plastic of the purge valve . Took me a year to find that ,I finally made my own little smoke machine off of you tube . Both of these were found by a smoke machine on the brake hose vacuum line test .
Yours may be the infamous vacuum line behind the intake manifold that is so hard to get to .During rebuild this can be a fail area. There is an intake runner control valve there driven by pcm and vacuum .
You can do a search on here on intake runner problems .
Or it may resolve itself with proper drive time tests .Good luck and let us know how you come out .
The following users liked this post:
tcruz0004 (01-04-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:55 PM

I'm getting the same report on mine. Have you figured it out?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:41 PM

No, I haven't. Truck runs fine so hasn't been a major concern. Is yours a rebuild engine too?
Old 03-02-2017, 05:09 PM

No mine is original. Just been having rough idle issues is all
Old 03-02-2017, 05:19 PM

If I had to guess, I would suspect that they are not related as my idle is normal but still have the same codes..
Old 03-02-2017, 05:36 PM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Post EVAP Monitor mode 6 results

Hi guys:

Perhaps the most important thing to realize about ANY Mode $06 Report is, it is merely a "SNAPSHOT" reading at the time requested, completely un-synchronized with the system being tested or reported upon. SO, one must view the readings with this in mind. Example, a Mode 6 test result on O2 Sensors -----??---- when they swing between .1 volts to .9 volts just depends on when you hit the enter key. HOWEVER, a reading of Zero, or 40volts would obviously be better than crawling under your truck to get to the damn Bank1 O2 sensors !!!.

As to your EVAP Monitor report, Torque reported MONITOR ID $3b, TEST ID $80 (Phase 2 0.040" cruise leak check bleed-up and maximum vacuum limit test) came in at 18pa and that passed - the Others are "Incomplete - or a 'dependent test' failed". See Page 25 of 98 of the Motorcraft OBDII Theory of Operation Manual (Evap TEST pages are attached).

As it turns out, 'incomplete' - at the moment the mode 6 test is run might not be serious at all when considering, ( as @redfishtd correctly pointed out) that a number of operating characteristics such as fuel level, IAT temperature, engine off soak time (typically 6 hours), curse speed, etc. can 'suspend' lots of the tests until those conditions are met. With EVAP Monitors in particular, it can take several drive cycles to complete some of the tests.

The attached pages from the OBDII theory of operation manual answers these questions - pay particular attention to the phases of the 0.040" and 0.020" tests.

I notice you have - and use Torque Pro. A helpful gauge in this area is the Emissions Readiness Screen. It will tell you which of the monitors are completed and are running etc. ALSO, through Manage Extra Sensors/PIDS, you can input a custom PID# as follows:

PID/Mode: 220975
Long Name: _Evaporation Monitor operation state/mode NOTE:"I personally like an '_' in front of my custom PIDs"
Short Name: EVAPMODE
Min: -1
Max: 5
Scale: x1
Unit: Int
Formula: Signed(A)
Header: Auto

Best gauge type for this is "Digital" and long tap the gauge and set Display config/Number of Decimals to "0".
Output is Integer - coded as follows:

-1 = Evap Monitor Not Running
0 = Phase 0, entry conditions not met
1 = Phase 1, Initial Vacuum Pulldown
2 = Phase 2, Vacuum Stabilization
3 = Phase 3, Vacuum Hold and Decay
4 = Phase 4, Vacuum Release
5 = Phase 5, Vapor Generation

Another helpful unpublished PID that is helpful is PID 1167 (Evaporative Emissions Canister Purge Vent Control).

PID/Mode: 221167
Long Name: _Evaporative Emissions Canister Purge Vent Control
Short Name: EVAPVC
Min: 0
Max: 100
Scale: x1
Unit: %
Formula: ((A*256)+B)*(128/32767)
Header: Auto

Evaporative canister vent solenoid duty cycle (goes to 100% during evap system leak check)

NOTE: "Their is NOTHING unique about the 'underscore character' in the names. I just use them to keep PIDs I've entered separated from the standard set that comes with Torque Pro."

Hopes this helps sort out some of the questions about your torque tests. The Theory of operation is interesting reading about this complex system. Basically I'd say you don't have anything to worry about if you have no DTC. Then, the theory will definitely help track it down.

Best Wishes
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Nichols (06-07-2018)

Quick Reply: EVAP Monitor Mode $06 data