Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine will turn over but not fire.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will turn over but not fire.

Hello. My Dad's F150 would randomly lose the lights and gauges on his dashboard and the radio would not work either. Then randomly the engine would seen to misfire and begin running rough. He would pull over, cut the engine off, and crank it back up. We took it to a Ford Service Center and they said it needed a new engine with the OBD2 Error Codes P0340, P0344, P0345. We said no and went and picked it up. On the way home the engine misfired twice, on the second time it would not start back up. We towed it home, changed the Oil Filter, Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Fuel Pump, VCT Sensors and it still turns over, but doesn't fire. Any Help?
Old 12-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Those codes point to a camshaft position sensor failure, which would effect the valve timing, redering the engine not to start, or run lousy.

Another posibility is Fuel (but I would get the camshaft codes resolved first. It may be the fuel pump control module, located by the spare tire. The backing plate rusts/pits, allowing moisture into this module, rendering it bad. The electric pump is operated (on/off) based on this module, as these Ford trucks use a single fuel line from the tank to fuel rails (injectors connect to). A common problem if you're not getting any fuel.

Also, there's a reset switch at the passenger side kick panel that kills fuel pump delivery if the truck rolls over. Some have reported having to reset this switch to get the fuel pump working again.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 12-22-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:31 PM

I have already reset the switch and the new fuel pump came with a new module.

The OBD2 codes were cleared. I have an OBD2 scanner that shows that there are now not any error codes in the computer but the truck still will turn over but not fire.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:37 PM

I also have replaced the camshaft position sensors.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

fuel pump driver module, mine did the same thing
Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 PM

Did you still have fuel pressure when that happened and been able to smell gas trying to get to the engine? A mechanic friend of mine thinks it is a problem with the spark getting to the fuel.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 434 Likes on 289 Posts

The FPDM failure can give you some gas getting to the engine, but not enough to start it.

Quick check? Spray starter fluid into the intake (A LITTLE!!!!!) and try to crank it. If it starts, you're getting spark. If not, the problem is most likely no spark as opposed to no fuel.
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM

I tried the little starter fluid. It did not start.

Just as a side note. The dashboard lights and gauges will sometimes work/ sometimes not making me wonder if that has any relation to the overall problem.

Someone I have talked to is leading toward the PCM.

Quick Reply: Engine will turn over but not fire.