Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Trouble

I have an 04 F150 w/ a 5.4l motor. The top end of the motor has been repaired three times because the lower end of the plugs are exploding inside of the heads. The heads are taken off and re-machined, and the engine rebuilt.

When problem started, the truck ran as if one of the plugs was bad or the wires had been crossed. Thru diagnostics, dealer found out there was a problem with the plugs. I was also told the situation might be caused by faulty/stuck valve(s). Dealership also blames problem on aftermarket (airaid) intake saying it is allowing too much airflow (intake had not been installed when problem arose first time).

Anyone else had similar problems? What was the result? Is there a possibility too much air flow would cause such problems?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-13-2008, 03:16 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

You should have put the stock intake back on before taking it in. The stealerships will use any excuse they can to pin the problem on you.
Old 11-13-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Too Much Air.....

I Guess That Mean That The Superchargers They Back With A Warr. Is Bad For The Truck Too Then!!!!!!! I'm Sure That That Lil Airraid Isn't Allowing More Air Than A Supercharger Is, And They Don't Change Anything In The Motor For That Before They Bolt It On!! Tell The Dealer He's Full Of ****
Old 11-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Did the dealership put it in writing that they would not cover the upper engine repair because "Dealership also blames problem on aftermarket (airaid) intake saying it is allowing too much airflow"?

If so, you have them nailed, because that is the biggest pile of dung I've read in awhile. The intake will only gulp as much air as it needs; nothing more, nothing less. The purpose of the airaid (and any other cold air intake) is to draw in COLD air, which creates a dense fuel/air mixture. This creates a bit more HP. It has nothing to do with allowing too much airflow.

I'm just now getting off the floor from laughing after reading that statement.

If you have it in writing or some other proof they made this statement, inform them you are getting legal advice.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting post being offered up. What exactly do you mean "lower plugs exploding into heads". Have never heard of this before? Alot of knowledge on this site that can help, by the way, Welcome. I, have never seen this before, can you give us more info.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reply

The first time I took the truck to the dealership, it was all stock. They tried reprogramming the PCM, replacing the coil packs, etc. Still no resolution. Brought it back again and they did more testing and found one of the plugs was defective. The bottom half of the plug had disintegrated into the motor. There were a couple of threads left along with part of the wire leading to the electrode. Not long after the same problem occurred, this time with 3 plugs. This is when they told me valves could be a problem and took apart the heads, machined them, and rebuilt the top end. Same thing happened to more times. Last 2 times vehicle was out of warranty. Most recently I argued with Ford and Dealership about who was going to pay. My arguements were twofold: One, the previous repairs were not sufficient or two, the wrong diagnosis was made and the wrong parts repaired. I eventually had to pay 1/4 of the bill and the rest was split between Ford and dealership.

Now here we are again with the same problem. Bringing the truck back to dealership in the morning. I will update post as necessary. I will also photograph one of the damaged plugs I have and post it for viewing.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

A couple of things to also consider:

1) Anytime something "explodes" in the combustion chamber, it goes without saying that the material from this catistrophic failure has now traveled throughout the engine. Sure, the larger pieces got filtered (if you were lucky), but plenty traveled to bearings, cam lobes, etc.

2) Fact that Ford knew of this spark plug issue disturbs me in that they seem to be "band-aiding" your situation.

I do not know all of your circumstances, nor am I possibly getting the entire story, but in any case, you seem to be getting screwed. I assume you are still making payments, which adds more injury to this.

I know it's more "up front" money, but if you are not satisfied with the outcome of your visit today, I'd suggest legal help. You seem to have documented proof of what you have had to go through. My onlt concern is the cold air box deal; they may try and claim that was an "aftermarket" part not authorized by Ford, but they do not have any proof either that it caused your second (or third) spark plug incident. Them using that excuse the other visit just leads me to them trying to put wool over your eyes. Be polite and firm. You have the makings of a good case against them, assuming all the facts you mention are true.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 PM

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bucko
Did the dealership put it in writing that they would not cover the upper engine repair because "Dealership also blames problem on aftermarket (airaid) intake saying it is allowing too much airflow"?

If so, you have them nailed, because that is the biggest pile of dung I've read in awhile. The intake will only gulp as much air as it needs; nothing more, nothing less. The purpose of the airaid (and any other cold air intake) is to draw in COLD air, which creates a dense fuel/air mixture. This creates a bit more HP. It has nothing to do with allowing too much airflow.

I'm just now getting off the floor from laughing after reading that statement.

If you have it in writing or some other proof they made this statement, inform them you are getting legal advice.
Sorry Bucko but your post isnt exactly true. A cold air intake can indeed allow more airflow. thats why the AF1 intake with the bigger 3.5" tube has been known to throw lean codes when installed without a tuner. Thats why its always better to get a tune when u upgrade an intake system. For one it helps u get the maximum use from the intake by adding more fuel to make up for the increased air intake which happens with any aftermarket intake that flows better than the garbage stock one. For the most part with most intakes the truck's MAF sensor is able to adjust the air fuel ratio enough to make the intake work without a tune but saying an intake doesnt take in more air is false, they do infact allow better air flow.

Quick Reply: Engine Trouble