Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Ticking Noises

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Ticking Noises

Hi all, i recently bought a 2005 F150 XLT Supercrew and it has 150k kms.
It was making clicking noises and i was curious to what the noise was and the dealer was saying it was just a leak in the exhaust. 6 months later, the noise is still there even though he put some sorta patch on it twice.
Filed a BBB complaint, and the dealer is paying to get the exhaust manifold replaced.

Right now it is being fondled with by another mechanic and i am hoping he replaces the manifold as what i wanted. The day i brought it in, he also did mention that there are actually 2 noises. One was the exhaust manifold on the passenger side, and Second was coming right from the engine.
It sounds like this:
That isn't my truck, however that noise you hear is the same tapping clickin noise. But, it only make the noise when im not pressing on the gas pedal, but when i do press on it, it goes away completely. Not like the video though, as there was other noises too, sounded like my manifold too.

Do you think that has something to do with cam phasers? I did bring my truck to a ford dealership, and they said the cam phasers are working and have no problems and that i need a new exhaust manifold replaced only, thats all. I have read a lot of forums, and people are saying that majority of Ford trucks do make that noise over time and it doesn't wreck anything.

That noise is just driving me nuts. Good thing is i purchased powertrain warranty, so i might get this fixed when i have time. But i have got the Ford guys to check on cam phasers and they say its still ok. I just don't wanna deal with people anymore who just don't know what they're doing. It sucks to lose time from work to figure out whats wrong. Please advise and your comments is much appreciated and probably help others with this very very common problem.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ticking that goes away with rpm is more than likely noisey injectors..... My started doing it around 10k miles...... there is no fix other than replacing injectors or turning volume **** to the right.

If the ford dealer says you don't have cam phaser noise, they are likely right....
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my buddys 04 lariat does the same thing, many fords have the same problem even older models, it could either be the valves hitting the aluminum heads or your crank shaft i think any repair shop would tell you that right off hand
Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM
08 F150 LIMITED

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It could be your oil pressure is to low while the engine is idling, this will cause ticking noises from the CP and the lifter/tapits but like rollingthunder said it may just be the injectors.
Try taking a long screw driver and put the metal end on the motor at different locations with the handle end against your ear and see if you can pin point where the ticking noise is coming from.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:43 AM

i just got a 2005 xlt and mine does the same thing on the passenger side......That's why i bought a magnaflow to cover it up
Old 04-20-2011, 09:54 AM

Try to put gas treatment and change out into full synthetic oil and noise should go away... Other possibility is change out fuel filter then fuel pressure will increase and hopefully stops the noise!
Old 04-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

If you filed a BBB report against the dealership, I would not trust completely their diagnosis. Obviously they want to get out of this with the cheapest route. I would have it completely gone through (something you should have done BEFORE you bought it with that mileage) by an independent mechanic. It's going to be a tough battle now though, as you most likely bought the truck "as is" with no implied warrantee.

Good luck, and let us know the outcome.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:47 PM
Rookie

Hi all, thank you for your update.
I managed to get the asswipe to fix my manifold, and yeah he refused to buy a new manifold so he did some welding on it. There is still some noises coming from the exhaust manifold but it is very very faint, you'd have to pay attention to it if you wanna hear it. But oh well at least its better than nothing since it is my fault for not checking the truck properly before buying it.

Anyways, about the tapping noise and you guys mentioned it could be the injectors:
I did an oil change to synthetic, and use an STP injector cleaner and poured it in with my gas. The tapping is still there and really annoying me. Is it hard to replace injectors? Is that something i should leave to a professional to replace?

Please advise, thank you and keep in touch guys!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:23 AM

You should be able to determine where the noise is coming from with a mechanic's stetoscope.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:06 AM

The passenger side manifolds or bad about warping and the injectors are easy to replace. Just unplug them and put the new ones in. But they are very expensive. Does is almost sound like a little diesel?

Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noises