Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Stutter, Instrument gauge acting strange

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Stutter, Instrument gauge acting strange

2007 F150 XLT 4x4, ~43k miles... When I start driving really slow, presumably in 1st or 2nd gear, sometimes the engine will sputter and the gauges will go crazy (lights blinking at random, gauges going nuts). The IWE in at least one of the front wheels will try to engage and make a grinding noise and the truck will seem to lose power. The truck has stalled completely at least once and it seems to start right back up again just fine. Often kicking it into neutral and giving it a good rev will help get things back on track, but not always.

One thing to note... I just got done removing and replacing the brake pads on the front passenger wheel to fix a squeaking problem (which didn't work by the way). I suppose its possible I screwed something up there (ABS maybe?)

Normally I just leech the forum sites, and I've noticed that others may have had this problem, but I haven't found any clear cut solutions. So I'm asking because I know what will happen if I take it to a shop... "We can't do anything if we can't reproduce the problem"... and of course if I take it to the shop, they won't be able to reproduce the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:17 PM

Received 532 Likes on 438 Posts

Pull and clean you MAF (mass air flow sensor) and throttle body... This is very common.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Especial86
Pull and clean you MAF (mass air flow sensor) and throttle body... This is very common.
Would this cause the electrical system (mainly the gauge cluster) to go crazy as well?
Old 09-19-2012, 03:27 PM

Check the fuel pump driver module, I just had to replace mine on my 04.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 PM
lol, wut

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kylewalter
Would this cause the electrical system (mainly the gauge cluster) to go crazy as well?
Battery or alternator. Try checking and cleaning the battery terminals and connectors.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:58 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

I agree with RADUQUE, shounds like you're losing voltage. Go to a parts store and have them check your alternator output at idle.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:24 PM

Originally that's what I thought, but I had bad batteries before, and in this case, the truck always starts (fires right up, no problems) headlights never get dim. I got the battery and alternator checked out anyway. Battery is all good, alternator puts out a steady 14.3 volts, all good. I suppose they could still be bad, or intermittently bad.
My thoughts are closing in on a vacuum system problem maybe?

I just left the battery disconnected for about a half hour, and I'll clean the MAF and throttle body tonight and let you know how that works out... Thanks for all your help so far everyone.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

cleaning the MAF and leaving the battery unplugged seemed to do the trick! thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: Engine Stutter, Instrument gauge acting strange