Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

engine safe mode

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine safe mode

Hey everyone, good day. I have a 04 f150 super creww lot's of mod's including an edge evolution. My question is this: Driving home tonight the ABS light came on and the brakes did not feel right and performance of engine was in question. Engine safe mode came on and I went to advance auto and a guy there said I have to take it to the dealer immediatly as the truck will not start after it gets tired of me ignoring this. The dealer wants $150.00 just to tell me whats wrong. Don't like dealer search money. Anyone heard about or know about what might be wrong? 92,000 miles on it and never had a problem until now! Thanks in advance. Gus
Old 11-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I don't believe the parts person is true as to the truck not starting "should you ignore it". If the problem worsens, then perhaps yes, but when the engine indicates "safe mode", the ECU/ECM (brain box) is in a pre-programmed "limp home" mode, meaning it ignores the various inputs from the sensors to feed it information and do the adjustments on its own (such as timing advance, fuel adjustments, etc.). This is the reason the engine performance "was in question".

You basically have two options:

1) take it to the dealer or shop that can read the OBD-II diagnostics codes to determine the fault.

2) Buy a portable device and read them yourself. Parts stores sell good portable units that can read and printout the codes. You can than replace any faulty components yourself or have it done by a qualified mechanic. These units range in price, based on features they provide. The one I have came with software I loaded on my laptop; I plug the USB cord from my laptop into the OBD-II plug of the vehicle, and the software scans for the code(s). Once the repair is done, the same software will reset the ECU/ECM memory to erase the code(s). The software also informs me of the faulty sensor/component/circuit that is setting the fault code.

Cheaper units can be purchased that just come with a book of codes, and a cross reference to the faulty part(s) causing the code. The small unit plugs into the OBD-II plug, and displays the code(s) on its screen.

Either way, you or a shop have to perform the repairs. If you are not equipped with the tools or know how (only you can make that judgement call), then the $150.00 charge plus repair is your option. In any event, the truck needs repair. The "limp home" mode it's running on is only intended to get you home (or to a shop) without stranding you.

Trouble codes may be as simple as a bad O2 sensor; although in your case the ABS also being on has me thinking it is more serious. I cannot make a guess as to what your problem is without knowing the codes that are set. These types of conditions are impossible to diagnose over the internet. You may get one or two folks that will chime in with "mine did the exact same thing", or "try this....".

Costly for you to try anything without knowing the trouble codes. My suggestion is one of the above two options.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-07-2008 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 AM

Default codes

Thanks, I scaned it with a the edge and got P1000 and P2106. the only light on now is the engine light. I have seen on here that usually there is another code with the P2106 but I don't have that.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:15 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

I found these three items concerning the P2106 code you have The last thread mentions the "fail safe" mode you refered to):

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-18-2

and

http://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/fullt...hp?tsb=05-14-4

and

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/2004-f...-vt167425.html

The P1000 indicates an "incomplete scan". Did you abort the scanning before it was done?

If you have a specific code you are needing an explaination of, go to this link and enter it in their "search" window:

http://www.obd-codes.com/search/

In the meantime, here's a site I like to use for identifying troble codes for all manufacturers:

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/

Just click on vehicle make, and they list the codes for you with a brief explaination.

They also provide the breakdown of an OBD-II code as follows:

Here is a breakdown of what each digit of the code means:
First Character - System

The first character identifies identifies the system related to the trouble code.
  • P = Powertrain
  • B = Body
  • C = Chassis
  • U = Undefined
Second Digit - Code Type

The second digit identifies whether the code is a generic code (same on all OBD-II equpped vehicles), or a manufacturer specific code.
  • 0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O")
  • 1 = Enhanced (manufacturer specific)
Third Digit - Sub-System

The third digit denotes the type of sub-system that pertains to the code
  • 1 = Emission Management (Fuel or Air)
  • 2 = Injector Circuit (Fuel or Air)
  • 3 = Ignition or Misfire
  • 4 = Emission Control
  • 5 = Vehicle Speed & Idle Control
  • 6 = Computer & Output Circuit
  • 7 = Transmission
  • 8 = Transmission
  • 9 = SAE Reserved
  • 0 = SAE Reserved
Fourth and Fifth Digits

These digits, along with the others, are variable, and relate to a particular problem. For example,a P0171 code means P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1). To lookup your particular code, visit our OBD Trouble Codes section.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 11-07-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Thanks, i'll research
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Transplanted to STL

That is very impresive Bucko!!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Notorious Thread Editor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

^^X2.
Very well put Bucko
Old 08-17-2010, 09:46 AM

Can you EVER clear the P1000 code?

Further to this, I just got my Edge Evolution. Plugged it in, ran it on #1 TRANS ONLY. engine fail safe mode. I turned the truck off as I was going 20 kms/hr. Turned the key on, returned to STOCK; then drove home. I took it on a 10km trip this morning on #1 TRANS ONLY. I ran the dyno tool on the EDGE. It just tells me about the P1000 code. No other codes are thrown. IS IT SAFE to assume that this means the trucks fails safe mode not returning and not showing on my EDGE, that I should not be in failsafe mode?

As well, FYI; I have had a new engine CAT convertors in the last two weeks. The edge was installed last night, and has...50KMS on it.

Cheers! N' Thanks in advance!!

Johnny

(Pics to come).

Quick Reply: engine safe mode