Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine removal

Old 03-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Engine removal

Just got done replacing my 4.6 2v now looking at doing my 5.4 3v. How hard is it to reach the trans bolts? Any tips? Any help appreciated
Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Anyone??
Old 03-16-2014, 05:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the top two from the top, after intake was off. The other ones with a swivel and about three foot of extensions.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RustyCJ
Did the top two from the top, after intake was off. The other ones with a swivel and about three foot of extensions.
Same here. Get yourself the a set of LONG extensions. I went to Harbor Freight and got the cheapest ones they had sine this was probably the only time I will need them. (unless i do another engine swap in my truck) Worked great.

Good luck!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:58 AM
Ford Enthusiast

I mean I just did a 02 mustang gt swap....would you say this is easier or harder? We have extensions like up to 3 ft. We took my mustang starter off from the front of the engine.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:58 AM

I just removed and replaced my 5.4 engine in a 2006 FX4. did it all myself. Yes in order to get to those 2 top tranny to engine bolts the intake manifold has to come off. I don't see any other way to get to them. If you are removing the engine, the intake needs to come off anyway. I used those exact 2 bolt holes in conjuction with the matching bolt holes on the front of the engine to attach 2 18" chains to use to attach the engine hoist to.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM
Ford Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clifton63
I just removed and replaced my 5.4 engine in a 2006 FX4. did it all myself. Yes in order to get to those 2 top tranny to engine bolts the intake manifold has to come off. I don't see any other way to get to them. If you are removing the engine, the intake needs to come off anyway. I used those exact 2 bolt holes in conjuction with the matching bolt holes on the front of the engine to attach 2 18" chains to use to attach the engine hoist to.
You would be a wealth of into on this. Any other tips?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by 2002VertGt
You would be a wealth of into on this. Any other tips?
Take A/C compressor off and lines from compressor to evap and to condensor. Take Power steering pump off: take plastic Cowl off (careful on these they have plastic hooks on the back edge, unsnap from front, swivel up and lift up); take radiator, shroud and fan out; take off intake manifold, unbolt transmission dipstick tube from head, take starter out, unbolt exhaust pipe from manifolds, unbolt 4 flywheel to torque convertor bolts, unbolt bottom 5 tranny bell housing bolts, put floor jack under tranny for support, unbolt top 2 bell housing bolts, ubolt engine mounts (2 nuts on passenger and 1 HUGE bolt on driver). The huge bolt takes a breaker bar to remove. Hoist the engine out. To put new engine in do everything in Reverse. Need a 2 ton hoist with a long reach. I had hoist snug all the way up to the license plate and it was just enough reach over top of engine. It comes out easy. It does not go back in easy. Lots of slow tweaking, manuevering getting it back in.

Replace the motor mounts while you are there. good luck.
The following users liked this post:
Johns fazer (08-14-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Ford Enthusiast

Originally Posted by clifton63
Take A/C compressor off and lines from compressor to evap and to condensor. Take Power steering pump off: take plastic Cowl off (careful on these they have plastic hooks on the back edge, unsnap from front, swivel up and lift up); take radiator, shroud and fan out; take off intake manifold, unbolt transmission dipstick tube from head, take starter out, unbolt exhaust pipe from manifolds, unbolt 4 flywheel to torque convertor bolts, unbolt bottom 5 tranny bell housing bolts, put floor jack under tranny for support, unbolt top 2 bell housing bolts, ubolt engine mounts (2 nuts on passenger and 1 HUGE bolt on driver). The huge bolt takes a breaker bar to remove. Hoist the engine out. To put new engine in do everything in Reverse. Need a 2 ton hoist with a long reach. I had hoist snug all the way up to the license plate and it was just enough reach over top of engine. It comes out easy. It does not go back in easy. Lots of slow tweaking, manuevering getting it back in. Replace the motor mounts while you are there. good luck.
Ok, how do I unbolt the 4 flywheel to tq converter bolts?
Old 03-17-2014, 10:14 AM
Ford Enthusiast

Did you use the leveler device when installing? Or just chains bolted to the motor? And what are you referring to when u say cowl?

Last edited by 2002VertGt; 03-17-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine removal