Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 06:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine Problems

I have 162,950 miles on my 5.4. I have been losing oil since 132,000 miles. I have added oil when needed between oil changes. I took it to a local mechanics which pops was very happy with. He said the leak is coming from the passenger side valve cover gasket. Showed me his hand wet of oil. I was happy. He swapped that out and added a qt of oil. After this was done, I started to feel my truck kicking while driving. That wasn't normal. Never did that before, not to mention the rough idle. (though the oil leak caused the tick but still got it) I took it back and now he said he used a machine at another shop which checks the coils. Coil 3 and 4 were going bad and that was the problem. Swapped those out and gave me back my truck. This did not work. Truck still kicks. WTF. I don't want to take it back.

I was going to take it to another Mech that my neighbor uses. He said the Mech is pricy but awesome. Well worth it. Before I take it to him, I want to understand whats going on. Does anyone have an idea? Maybe something i could handle. I do drive 60 miles one way to get to work.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Make sure all vacuum lines are put back on securely. As I recall there is one that goes right across the passenger side valve cover. Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rick's 06
Make sure all vacuum lines are put back on securely. As I recall there is one that goes right across the passenger side valve cover. Good luck.
Good idea. Just googled and ran to the truck to check. Everything seems to be connected and tight. I also looked for anything disconnected. Thanks for the idea but it didn't work.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default rough running

As an added check, with that many mile has your expert check Cats. They cause lots of weird problems.
Good luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by j.low
As an added check, with that many mile has your expert check Cats. They cause lots of weird problems.
Good luck.
Could you give more info? I had a weird noise that was loud and under the truck while this all started. I like to know more info so i could google better.

Quick Reply: Engine Problems