Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine miss and stumble after trans install

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine miss and stumble after trans install

Just had a transmission installed in my 05 f150 4x4 and as soon as I picked it up I noticed a little rough idle. When driving down the street I notice that it is not as smooth accelerating up to speed and need to press further on the accelerator to maintain the same speed. It's not throwing a code yet because the shop disconnected the battery a couple times thinking they were resetting something so no codes yet for the miss. It did throw a p0705 and p1702 code for the range selector which they're gonna replace but I'm sure that won't fix the miss. Prior to me buying it the po did about 3000 in timing/phaser etc work and has never given me a problem. I'm wondering if there is a connector or something that they had to remove during the transmission job that may be damaged or left disconnected but the wind chill here in buffalo is -15 right now. Any ideas?? It's an fx4 with the 5.4 and has about 119000 miles. About 10000 on the engine after all the work that was done
Old 02-13-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

What symptoms were you having before the new transmission? Many good transmissions have been misdiagnosed as being bad when in reality, it was an engine misfire. A faulty COP is the typical culprit.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:12 PM

The reverse planetary broke. I had all forward gears as normal and no engine problems before. I just had no reverse.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM

I have an appt on Monday even though I don't have a cel
Old 02-16-2015, 01:40 PM

Update. The misfire is not engine related. The shop thinks it torque converter or trans related. Transmission shop doesn't think so. Stuck in the middle here. Does this sound like it could be trans related?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:16 AM

2nd repair shop says torque converter or flex plate. Since the vibration started just after trans and torque converter were replaced what do you guys think. Ever hear of a torque converter being out of balance and causing a vibration like this?? Now to fight with the transmission shop. Ugh. They already say that they have never heard of this in 40 some odd years. Help
Old 02-17-2015, 11:58 AM

Received 353 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Bufsabre
2nd repair shop says torque converter or flex plate. Since the vibration started just after trans and torque converter were replaced what do you guys think. Ever hear of a torque converter being out of balance and causing a vibration like this?? Now to fight with the transmission shop. Ugh. They already say that they have never heard of this in 40 some odd years. Help
I have heard of flex plates cracking, not sure about being out of balance.

Quick Reply: Engine miss and stumble after trans install