Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

engine misfire issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine misfire issue?

hello all, i have a 08 with a 4.6 engine and i have a miss i can't figure out. ok i had a caliper up front sticking so i parked the truck and drove my car until i had time to work on it. the truck sit for almost a month and i finally got to fix my caliper and as i'm taking for a test drive it starts missing and after a few minutes the CEL comes on so then i pull into my local autozone to get it scanned and it comes back cylinder 6 misfire. well i discover my intake gaskets are shot and there was antifreeze puddled up in that plug hole so i then cleaned it out and dried it just to see if it would fix it and it worked for about 10 mins and the miss came back but NO CEL this time at all. I also checked the coil on and it's in great shape no cracking as I could see or no rot. if i change the gaskets and plugs will this stop?? before I parked the truck i drove it everyday and never had any issues and then all the sudden this happens.today i cleaned it out again and there was barely any water in the hole but after i cleaned it out it ran fine again for about 10 mins and it started again. i just wanna make sure nothing else may have happened instead...any ideas? thanks
Old 06-05-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 147 Likes on 125 Posts

nearly identical to my experience... cracked intake leaking coolant into the plug wells on my 08 4.6l causing them to short and miss (i think i mostly had it on cyl 7 maybe?) i replaced the intake and the plugs and drove fine after that.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:56 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

yep...replace the intake gasket and R&R the plugs and I would also do boots and springs with new Dielectric grease and you should be good to go...good time to perform a flush of the cooling system and a new T-stat and refill with some Motorcraft Gold
Old 06-06-2015, 03:07 PM

thanks guys....Techrep what do you mean by R&R the plugs?? when a plug hole gets water in it like that does it cause the plug to go out or what? after i cleaned the hole out and dried up what i could it ran good for about 10 mins and that was it.it lost power and started running ruff and missing again.like i said i just wanted to see if that helped the issue to make sure nothing else happened to it while sitting.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

R & R. Remove and Replace... put new plugs in it...
Old 06-07-2015, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by techrep
R & R. Remove and Replace... put new plugs in it...
LOL...Duh I should've figured that out. i'm gonna take car of it this week so i can be driving it again. TechRep i'm curious, why did the CEL come on when it first happened but hasn't came back on since it started this time? weird to me.

Quick Reply: engine misfire issue?