Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Light came on, then off??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Engine Light came on, then off??

Hey guys, i have a 2006 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.4 V8 in it. The truck has around 54,000 miles on it. I never floor the truck or beat on it ever, i drive it very normal. The other day i was going up this big hill(pavement, not offroading) and i floored the gas pedal, and the truck started bucking rear bad and the check engine light came on and started flashing, once the hill leveled out, the engine light went off and i never had a problem again. i tried to get the truck to do it again and there was no signs of it going to. I hooked a scanner to the vehicle and there was no coded stored in the computer. I dont know it just seemed really weird to me. You guys ever heard of strange stuff like this happening on these trucks? Thanks, gary
Old 12-01-2012, 08:40 AM
fxmf4

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fenza89
Hey guys, i have a 2006 Ford F150 FX4 with the 5.4 V8 in it. The truck has around 54,000 miles on it. I never floor the truck or beat on it ever, i drive it very normal. The other day i was going up this big hill(pavement, not offroading) and i floored the gas pedal, and the truck started bucking rear bad and the check engine light came on and started flashing, once the hill leveled out, the engine light went off and i never had a problem again. i tried to get the truck to do it again and there was no signs of it going to. I hooked a scanner to the vehicle and there was no coded stored in the computer. I dont know it just seemed really weird to me. You guys ever heard of strange stuff like this happening on these trucks? Thanks, gary
All the time lol. Most of the time its from a bad sparplug or ignition coil
Old 12-01-2012, 08:49 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

The truck probably detected a slight misfire. Since it didn't continue it registered as a pending code (hence the on then off light). Clean the MAF, change the plugs, and grease the COP boots is the best way to take care of it. It's about time for you to change the plugs anyways. Run a few rounds of PEA cleaner and your choice of method for the plug removal.

Quick Reply: Engine Light came on, then off??