Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Engine Bay Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Engine Bay Cleaning

Question for anyone who cares to respond. Obviously this won't be taking place for at least a few months when it is warmer, but I will be cleaning my engine bay and wondered what the best way to get at it would be. I am leery of just hosing the engine and electronic components off , even if I do cover the alternator and such up with a plastic bag.

So, does anyone have a good way to clean off the engine and bay without it being to harsh/invasive?

Thanks for any input. I have learned a lot from this forum and I continue to appreciate fellow 150 owners helping each other out.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I live on gravel so it's a lost cause for me but I get after the engine bay every once in a while. It's a lot of work... I do use soap/water but try not to use any more water than necessary and use compressed air to dry stuff back off when possible. I usually give up on my truck before it is done. I have a car that is used pretty much only for shows, the only real way to have a clean engine bay is to never let it get dirty lol

Btw I need a WD45 gas, wide front, 1/16 precision, any leads ??
Old 01-08-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a look at this technique. I've been using it for years, except using simple green instead of gunk engine cleaner. Amazing results from practically zero effort.

http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm
The following users liked this post:
Zax (01-08-2014)
Old 01-08-2014, 11:37 PM
Zax
♫♪ I Hold On ♫♪

Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by patpend
Take a look at this technique. I've been using it for years, except using simple green instead of gunk engine cleaner. Amazing results from practically zero effort. http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm
I'm gonna give that a shot this spring!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 PM
"Why Leave it Stock?"

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by patpend
Take a look at this technique. I've been using it for years, except using simple green instead of gunk engine cleaner. Amazing results from practically zero effort. http://www.1017.org/nsx/Enginetrick/EngineTrick.htm
Looks cool patpent, I also prefer Simple Green over anything else. Would you recommend it diluted? I also think I would want to cover the brain box and alternator AT LEAST with a plastic bag on this method, but looks good! I may give it a shot if I can't find a safer foaming solution. Thanks!
Old 01-08-2014, 11:51 PM

Received 106 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by acdiecast
Looks cool patpent, I also prefer Simple Green over anything else. Would you recommend it diluted? I also think I would want to cover the brain box and alternator AT LEAST with a plastic bag on this method, but looks good! I may give it a shot if I can't find a safer foaming solution. Thanks!
I usually do mine at a 1/3 dilution. I don't cover anything, but that's just me....Also I simple green the foam pad on the underside of the hood, and that takes alot of water to rinse. I just use the garden hose, but don't shoot it directly at anything....Start it out immediately after to dry it out....
Old 01-09-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I pressure wash mine all the time. The top of the plug boots collect a lot of chit. No worries on the alternator. I try to watch the stock filter box obviously don't want water down the intake but it's likely that you'll fowl the MAF if you get by the filter. Very easy with the stock tray design. Also there are many many webbing pockets on the intake manifold to collect dirty water. I make sure they're rinsed out then later blow 'em out. Then I detail everything with Pledge. Better than brand new. I went nutz on mine after I bought it. Even flushed the cooling system and boiled out the Degas bottle.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I like pinesol ...LOL
Spray the greasy parts, mist everything else, let soak then quick pressure wash, blow off with air, leaves it shiny and springtime fresh
Old 01-10-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdiecast
I just spray it on straight. If there's a lot of dust and grit I will lightly hose it off and then spray simple green on the wet engine compartment.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 PM

Received 150 Likes on 117 Posts

I actually just did mine today in my garage where its nice and warm. I use purple power degreaser, spray everything good let sit for 5 min and scrub a little with soft bristle brush and then hose off. I spray everything with water and i haven't had a problem in 6 yrs. I do mine 2-3 times a year.

Quick Reply: Engine Bay Cleaning