Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

emergency spark plug issue

Old 10-12-2014, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default emergency spark plug issue

I have a 2005 f150 with the 5.4l. I started my spark plug project this afternoon. I broke 6 out of 8 plugs. The last plug that I tried to remove will not bite. I have the lisle #65600 removal tool. The last plug broke very goofy and lots of the porcelain broke free. I thought I blew most of it out. But I believe a chunk remained and when I crushed the porcelain down it filled the hole which won't allow the last tool to bite into it and remove the tip. Its not the electrode either, that came out. I took a pic with my phone which I will upload later but all I can see is a black center. Would getting a large drill bit or pick to break up the porcelain work or I am going completely in the wrong direction. Need to get the truck running by Monday.
Old 10-12-2014, 11:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shop vac with a smaller rubber hose try to suck it out. Then reinsert the pusher tool and bottom it out again.
Old 10-13-2014, 12:54 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

So what your saying is that the plug broke in the usual spot? Just wont thread?

If so i had to take my Lisle tool to the grinder and very carefully grind about a quarter inch above the threads to make it dig deeper. I stripped my plug on the first go (back passenger side one ) and that was the only way to get it out. Take one of those plastic rings out of the equation, its just a spacer and then crush the porcelain down more, then shop vac the hole, then thread the other part of the tool you grinded on in there and pray to whoever you believe in. I was 1 turn away from calling the tow truck when it caught. One swift hard pissed off hit then i heard SQUEEK lol

Did it look like this?
emergency spark plug issue-oyul3ol.jpg

Fun Times, had to remove PCM and all that crap in the way
emergency spark plug issue-i4m8i9v.jpg

Last edited by MHOWELL34; 10-13-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 AM

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Heres what i did to the tool
emergency spark plug issue-fh0tape.jpg

Heres the little bastard as a trophy, it looks just like what it is! An ABSOLUTE DICK!!!
emergency spark plug issue-mpm34fd.jpg
Old 10-14-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I got it out. It was a pain because it was the #7 cylinder so I couldn't see what I was doing. The plug broke off funny leaving more porcelain than the other 5 plugs. When I crushed it and bottomed out the tool it topped off the tip of the plug flush with porcelain so the extractor couldn't grab. I had to dig out the porcelain with a tiny screw drive and blow out the residue. Then with the tip completely filled with porcelain the pusher pushed the tip too far into the head so that the extractor couldn't reach it with the porcelain removed. I had to grind down the aligning part of the tool to get it to reach.
Old 10-14-2014, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta love these modular engines.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: emergency spark plug issue