Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Emergency brake cable replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Emergency brake cable replacement

OK I GIVE UP! I have had to bluff my last two state inspections because of my emergency brake not holding. I have replaced the shoes in the "hat" and cranked them tight against the inside of the rotor. Still wont hold. Now my cable is so loose when the brake is released it wags more than my beagle's tail. It takes 3/4 of the pedal travel just to tighten the cable to a point I can not move it. I am pretty sure I need to replace all three cables. My question is this. How the heck does the cable attache to the pedal in the cab. I see it come up through the floor under the carpet and up around the pedal. What I can not figure out is how to get it off and the new one on. I have search youtube but no luck finding anything that helps. Searched the forum also. Any help is appreciated and needed.

Thank you!
Old 07-18-2012, 01:56 PM

OK I talked with a friend and he thinks the ratchet assembly in the pedal in the truck. Can this be? Any help?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the e brake cable down the under side of the truck I had same problem but the cable some how not really sure how but it came out of the bracket on the under side of the truck causeing to much slack to hold. I did the same thing you did I replaced my ebrake shoes and was pissed when it didn't hold and to my investigation found the simple fix.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

I think you are supposed to put tension on the cable prior to servicing your e-brake. I don't know if that portains to your situation.

Let us know how things turn out. I'm in the middle of an e-brake project myself. I have no e-brakes at all. And the funny thing is, on the passenger-side I have absolutely no e-brake assembly! Under the rotor there is nothing! The previous owned must've done something real stupid...
Old 07-23-2012, 08:53 AM

Well I worked on it with a friend a little bit. It appears my ratchet assembly on the pedal is bad. I can pull the cable in and out from the pedal. As soon as there is any tension on the cables instead of pulling the shoes against the rotor it lets cable out. So it looks like I need a new Parking Brake Control Assembly or a new pedal assembly. But you can't charge $182 for a pedal so you have to give it a fancy name.

Quick Reply: Emergency brake cable replacement