Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

Ok, it all started a couple of months ago when my radio just stopped working. Within the past couple weeks, my HID's quit working, no biggie just swapped the original bulbs back in. Then my fog lights quit working, and now my sub has quit working. Does anybody have any clue what is wrong with my truck, or had any similar problems?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly fuses. I know tht just about all those things have happened to me and it was just a simple fuse. For the hids it could be bad ballasts or bad grounds?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Animal Hoarder

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Two things come to me off the top of my head. Things like radios and HID are sensitive to voltage spikes so I would start with checking the alternator. Have the Alternator checked to make sure there isnt excessive AC ripple. A bad diode inside the alternator will cause volatge spikes and charging issues.

You may also have shorted plate inside the battery.This can also cause volatge issues. This one is a little more difficult to identify because a regular battery load test wont identify this.

(And a bad alternator diode can also cause a battery to short out as well)
Old 01-16-2012, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I think we got it figured out today, my line driver had gone haywire which caused my amp to short out which caused everything else to go crazy. Luckily the stereo shop that I bought everything from gave me a new amp and all the other goodies that went with it. So hopefully I won't run into this problem again. The guy doing my stereo said that the amp was pulling power weird or something like that. Who knows?

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems