Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

electrical problem?

Old 01-14-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical problem?

Hi, first time post:

I did a search and a few of you have had one of the problems I am having but no one's seemed quite the same. A few weeks ago my electrical systems started acting up, first the MPG's and trip odometer reset itself, then a few days later (didn't drive the truck over the weekend) the battery was dead. The battery is only about a year and half old so I put a real quick surface charge on it and it fired right up. The next day the battery was dead again. Put a charge on it again it fired right up, all gauges show its charging correctly but I suspect a diode in the alternator, check it out and that wasn't it. Cleaned both terminals really well and that seemed to do it, no loss overnight now. BUT now my radio cluster lights inadvertently go on and off! I'm not losing and charge overnight so I think a bad connection on the negative fixed the drain, but what's with the radio lights? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and will randomly come on as I am driving down the highway. And sometimes even the clock light is super dim. Any help would be appreciated!

2004 Lariat 5.4
Old 01-14-2015, 02:04 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Original alternator?

Have it bench checked. I suspect it is not putting out enough to keep the new battery charged.

That, or the new (year old battery) is no good.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:44 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralWAfish
Hi, first time post:

I did a search and a few of you have had one of the problems I am having but no one's seemed quite the same. A few weeks ago my electrical systems started acting up, first the MPG's and trip odometer reset itself, then a few days later (didn't drive the truck over the weekend) the battery was dead. The battery is only about a year and half old so I put a real quick surface charge on it and it fired right up. The next day the battery was dead again. Put a charge on it again it fired right up, all gauges show its charging correctly but I suspect a diode in the alternator, check it out and that wasn't it. Cleaned both terminals really well and that seemed to do it, no loss overnight now. BUT now my radio cluster lights inadvertently go on and off! I'm not losing and charge overnight so I think a bad connection on the negative fixed the drain, but what's with the radio lights? Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't and will randomly come on as I am driving down the highway. And sometimes even the clock light is super dim. Any help would be appreciated!

2004 Lariat 5.4
do you own a multimeter ? read VDC at the battery with truck off .. should be 12.4 or so on a good battery.. now start your truck and read it again... should read 14 VDC plus if the Alt is working correctly.. sounds like with the dimming issue your Alt is starting to go out on you.. have you checked all you wires to the alt and frame ground ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: electrical problem?