Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electrical going crazy

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical going crazy

I have a 2004 f150 and just recently the reverse lights were flickering while truck was off and now they won't turn off at all. After I shut the truck off the radio will turn back on after a while and the gauges will go back and forth and "check gauges" message pops up on the dash and all the dash lights are flickering at this time. It will stop after a few seconds and go back to normal then back to flickering and what not. Sometimes it won't do it at all. I can't imagine what it is, not an electrical person but it's really weird
Old 02-25-2016, 05:24 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

The reverse lights sticking on may be draining the battery, and causing the dash cluster to act the way it is; common for the cluster to act up when the battery is drained or low on charge.

There is a DTR ( Digital Transmission Range ) sensor connector on the side of the transmissionn that may have a corroded connection, or may be faulty, causing the problem. Here's a youtube vid that shows what it looks like, and how to replace it if required:

Its located on the drivers side of the transmission, towards the front. It is the sensor towards the transmission pan; the one above it is the turbine shaft speed sensor (torque converter) sensor.

It has a black, 12 pin connector (2 rows of 6 pins), oval in shape.

The dark green/yellow stripe wire in this connector is the wire used for the reverse circuit, from this DTR to to the reverse lamps, the trailer tow reversing lamps (if equipped), and parking aid module (if equipped), as well as the electrochromatic mirror (if equipped).

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 02-25-2016 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wrc7926
I have a 2004 f150 and just recently the reverse lights were flickering while truck was off and now they won't turn off at all. After I shut the truck off the radio will turn back on after a while and the gauges will go back and forth and "check gauges" message pops up on the dash and all the dash lights are flickering at this time. It will stop after a few seconds and go back to normal then back to flickering and what not. Sometimes it won't do it at all. I can't imagine what it is, not an electrical person but it's really weird
My 2005 F150 does it also 2-3 ,times a year don't know why.
I get rid of it by unhooking battery cables and the key is then turn on every switch at same time to discharge any stored power.

Quick Reply: Electrical going crazy