Topic Sponsor
2004 - 2008 Ford F150 General discussion on the 2004 - 2008 Ford F150 truck.

Electrical Education Needed. HELP ME!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 08:29 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Electrical Education Needed. HELP ME!!

Okay, I know I've posted a lot about fog lights and lighting lately, but I need some education. I was hoping someone could give me a little more insight on wiring in relays, and harnesses, etc.

Above is my truck. For extra lighting, all I have currently is a pair of Rigid Industries D2 fog lights mounted to my bullbar. I have them wired to the battery then the switch in my dash, the whole system was plug and play, or direct connect to the battery. I plan on adding more lights, maybe behind the grille, or adding an additional light bar somewhere. What is the best way to wire all this in to the trucks electrical system? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but do not have much experience with electrical work. I want to be able to control the lights from cab switches, and I know I need to install a relay so I don't have a million wires running to the battery from several different lights.

Also, I may install the light bar directly to the top of my back rack, it has several mounting locations. What would be the best way to wire it to the battery? Under the cab? Any insight or direction would be greatly appreciated. I never realized how addicting lighting is. MUST HAVE MORE LIGHT!!!
Old 02-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by bwFX42006
Okay, I know I've posted a lot about fog lights and lighting lately, but I need some education. I was hoping someone could give me a little more insight on wiring in relays, and harnesses, etc. Above is my truck. For extra lighting, all I have currently is a pair of Rigid Industries D2 fog lights mounted to my bullbar. I have them wired to the battery then the switch in my dash, the whole system was plug and play, or direct connect to the battery. I plan on adding more lights, maybe behind the grille, or adding an additional light bar somewhere. What is the best way to wire all this in to the trucks electrical system? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but do not have much experience with electrical work. I want to be able to control the lights from cab switches, and I know I need to install a relay so I don't have a million wires running to the battery from several different lights. Also, I may install the light bar directly to the top of my back rack, it has several mounting locations. What would be the best way to wire it to the battery? Under the cab? Any insight or direction would be greatly appreciated. I never realized how addicting lighting is. MUST HAVE MORE LIGHT!!!
You need to run relays. Even though led's don't use much current, you'll want the relay to carry all of the current in the system. The switch will only be used to trigger the relay to on or off. Just look on web, many wiring diagrams out there for them.
The following users liked this post:
bwFX42006 (02-13-2015)
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 AM

So basically the relay carries a majority of the load so the switch doesn't burn out?
Old 02-13-2015, 09:55 AM

Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

So basically the relay carries a majority of the load so the switch doesn't burn out?
Edit* actually it carries all of the current for the light circuit. The only current going through the switch will be the amount to trigger the relay. The relay is basically like a switch that is trigger by a smaller curcuit.

Last edited by ford4wd08; 02-13-2015 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:17 AM

Okay, I understand. Now should I put my Rigid Cubes on a relay. They don't pull much load anyway...I think like 1.5 amps each...so i figured i could just leave them direct wired to the battery and then run my next set of lights on a relay.
Old 02-13-2015, 01:13 PM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 475 Likes on 375 Posts

Typical relay wiring for lights. Notice that even with a relay, you still want to have a fuse inline with the power lead that "feeds" the relay:
Attached Images  
Old 02-13-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bucko
Typical relay wiring for lights. Notice that even with a relay, you still want to have a fuse inline with the power lead that "feeds" the relay:
Very helpful diagram. Is it necessary to have a relay for each set of lights? Meaning only two lights per relay?
Old 02-13-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very helpful diagram. Is it necessary to have a relay for each set of lights? Meaning only two lights per relay?

I would each group of lights on it's own relay. So if switch one operates lights 1 and 2, that would have it's own relay. switch 2 operating lights 3 and 4 would have another relay, etc.

Also you can get a power distribution bar so you don't have a million wires going to the battery.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by brantlyj
I would each group of lights on it's own relay. So if switch one operates lights 1 and 2, that would have it's own relay. switch 2 operating lights 3 and 4 would have another relay, etc.

Also you can get a power distribution bar so you don't have a million wires going to the battery.

Something like this?
Old 02-14-2015, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something like this?

Yup!
The following users liked this post:
bwFX42006 (02-15-2015)

Quick Reply: Electrical Education Needed. HELP ME!!